What makes a good equipment rack?

I've outgrown where all my components live and planning on building a solution myself.

I get the need for air flow around components. No turntable in my future which I'm sure have special needs.

What should I be concerned about or need to address beyond just making a solid peice of furniture and cabling accessible?
128x128doitwithlife
Most likely someone straightened them out and they use some other material or fluid for the viscoelastic layer. If it wasn’t Sorbothane it looked like it. Whatever it was sounded remarkably unpleasant. When I took the Zoethecus apart at the show it was twenty years ago. My how time flies!
Speaking of racks and stands, and since you are good with underwater stuff, do you know much about the SRA folks and products?

I don’t have any experience with SRA products but you have to hand it to their marketing dept.

From their page for Virginia Class iso stand,

“Each jewel-like chassis features a custom-made nanocomposite housing. This creates the ideal coupling path between component footer and isoBASE, enabling it to drain and sink skin-effect vibration.

Under this nanocomposite skin are two of our enormously complex Raft Isolation Systems™. Each is encased in its own vacuum and calibrated to single-angstrom tolerances. It’s our most reactionary, most effective implementation ever.

Mechanically grounding this to your floor are build-specific leg assemblies. These are made of HY80 high-tensile steel, a material originally developed for the hulls of U.S. nuclear submarines.”

I just set up a brand new Sound Anchors 200 pound 5 shelf unit. I love this thing! Solid as a rock and I love the way it allows air to circulate all around my gear! It sounds terrific to boot! I still use my Iso Acoustics footers under all my gear in addition to the rack. Best rack I have ever used.
If I were starting over, and had unlimited funds, I'd get Sound Anchor stands for everything. I have their ET LFT-8b speaker stands, and love 'em. Cut some Baltic Birch plywood into shelf-size pieces, finish them with satin polyurethane (it brings out the contrast between ply layers), and use whatever isolation devices you prefer.