Revisiting some music from the past ...

I rarely start posts.  

After a few days of Quora and Taylor Swift and Billie Eilish questions, I 'realized' or better said 'accepted' or better said 'ranted' that ... 

'Rock music is dead for the most part. Music has morphed into something else. It is totally unrecognizable to Baby Boomers and Generation X’ers.  No one listens to radio. No one owns a stereo. No one purchases physical music.  IT AIN’T THE SAME ANYMORE!'

Now that I got that out of my system (rightly or wrongly), I do feel better when I am posting about music and staying away from the posts about component X being better than component Y.   

For this Sunday morning, two videos of 'older' music that still sound good to these ears ...

Roy Orbison - Live on BBC (1975)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tZXIok6OF8&feature=emb_rel_pause

Ricky Nelson & Fats Domino in Concert.  They perform together around the 46 minute mark.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk0Lt_7RANU

Enjoy, 

Rich 
128x128rar1
Well said Rich and I for one totally agree except I listen to classical music. I think all composers after Shostakovich stink and yes I know I shall be shot down in flames by the minimalists but these are my thoughts and I am entitled to them as others will shoot me for my beliefs in Bach Beethoven and the rest.
@jim204   +1!  Shostakovich is at the top of the mountain musically.  All those who have come after the "great Russian" can only look up in wonder...
@jim204 If you can find it streaming somewhere, please give a listen to Dobrinka Tabakova, "String Paths", on ECM.  You might be pleasantly surprised.

The quality songwriting, singing, and musicianship you crave has moved underground, where there is healthy, burgeoning activity. It is called Americana. There was once a print magazine devoted to the genre, entitled No Depression. While the print version is dead, an internet version rose from it's ashes.

There are hundreds of practitioners of Americana, regularly releasing great music. Emmylou Harris, John Hiatt, Buddy Miller, Richard Thompson, Ry Cooder, Iris Dement, Jim Lauderdale, Marty Stuart, Steve Earle, Jason Isbell, Gillian Welch, Lucinda Williams, Mary Gauthier, Alison Krauss, Ray Davies (from The Kinks), Dave Alvin, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, John Doe (from X), Larry Campbell (a veteran of Dylan's and Levon Helm's bands), Rosanne Cash, her half-sister Carlene Carter, Rodney Crowell, Tift Merritt, Bonnie Raitt, and many, many more.

I have old friends and bandmates who are constantly bellyaching about the good ol' days. It's never been better than now! Artists no longer have to play the game via record company rules; they can record themselves and distribute the music any way they choose. Support them and they'll give you more!

I am a major follower and supporter of Americana.  It is all I buy and I buy plenty.  Though I don't think the Americana scene is better today today than say 15 years ago.  In any event, good to know I have a listening buddy.  

Rich