Why are brick and mortar HiFi dealers so bad?

I have rarely found a reasonably decent HiFi dealer and I live in the New York metro area where there are probably more per capita than anywhere else.  I've been to a lot of shops and I'm tired of the smug attitudes, the lousy customer service, weird return policies, etc.  Friends state that the owners are jaded because people come in and listen to a bunch of gear and then go buy it elsewhere or pre-owned on web sites like Audiogon.  If that is the case, figure out a better sales strategy or shutter your store.  I've moved onto Music Direct and Audio Advisor and Upscale Audio.  Buy it and try it on your own system in your own listening room with a money-back guarantee.  If you know a decent HiFi retailer, please pass it along.
128x128pg62
Worked for Audio Lab in Phoenix from 1973 til IRS took away the keys, owner failed to pay taxes. After two weeks of intense training was given the keys to the store and left alone. The owner was starting a new business Car Stereos Unlimited. I tried to give every person the same attentiveness, no matter who, how dressed. We did trade ins based on the Orion pricing guide. If someone wanted to bring in their gear to interface with the stores, never a problem. We sold Akai, AR, Harmon Kardon, Cerwin Vega, Janzens and Utah speakers as house brand.

Purchased my first good speakers from the competition, prior to Audio Lab, one and then the other 2/3months later. Went back to purchase the second speaker, and the salesperson (same one) immediately took me into the same sound room to hear the new great thing, ’Gales’. They no longer carried ESS brand. Showed him my receipt, said I was here for my second ESS AMT4, the look on his face was pure disappointment, Just another 249 dollar sale. Yes they still had the single left over speaker. ESS Heils had a lifetime warranty on the Heil mid/tweet motor. Went back the store 3 years later for warranty and was told to pound pavement. Never went back. Now I live in Redding CA. Best Buys is the ’Big’ audio shop here, no mom and pops stores anymore.

How you treat people counts for me. Also worked for Radio Mart in Redding for 12 or more years. Audio lab and Radio Mart both had the same philosophy. Alas the manager and then the owner passed away. Millercarbon and others do any of you remember the mfgs spiff program?

+1jrpnde

The owner of Take Five in New Haven retired, sold the business and its been relocated to Middlebury.
Or, fly to ATL. HiFi Buys there features two delicious listening rooms along with friendly and knowledgeable service. 
When I was last into high end audio 25+ years ago there were good stores but if you look at what has happened to society and sales of everything today it is a totally different world (including for the sellers).

Trying to actually audition or AB any particular components in a store today might be theoretically possible but in practice very difficult.   Online reviews and the ability to easily sell used components are a godsend.  
Of course your friend is correct when he told you the local hifi dealers feel used when people shop, listen, question then buy elsewhere. Finding a retailer that does not survive off the teat of the Home Theatre sow is rare. Mostly they have folded. Gig Harbor Audio, Brooks Berdan  and Hawthorne Audio -Seattle, love that sign out front which announces that the store is "a nice place" are some of the few I have enjoyed spending time in. But honestly I never bought anything there. Someday perhaps but that won't pay their bills.
It was my very great fortune to meet "Blake" three and a half years ago at Audio/Video Choices in Phoenix. My last stereo purchase had been in 1985 at Definitive where they sent me home with NAD and Polks. 
Last week the owner of AV Choices closed his doors after 13 years to retire.
We threw a retirement party at the store two Saturdays back.
I am going to miss that place. Even more I will miss the ridiculously 
honest, unbiased and totally accurate information Blake shared with me.
I now enjoy a system (following Blake's tutelage) put together for about $9k that creates what I call that 'magic' sound. As to OP's question, be patient and you will be rewarded. Make it an educational journey. You may enjoy the learning process. Go to  Axpona if possible. Join a local club if one exists. If not join the nearest one and read the newsletters. 
Many manufacturers have gone "direct" and as such offer a trial period.
You pay freight both ways. Cheaper to fly/drive there sometimes.