bookshelf speakers to replace my Maggies

I've loved Magenpan speakers from the first moment I heard a pair in 1983. I've owned and listened to various Maggies for twenty-five years but a few months ago my "vintage" speakers (1.5) gave out. For all the obvious space/marital reasons, I can't replace them, at least for now. I picked up a pair of PSB Imagine B speakers and I like them; they keep me going. But I sorely miss that Magnepan sound--the presence, the realism, the emotional beauty, the "air." I've never heard another speaker that can reproduce acoustic instruments like Maggies. 

I want to start scheming and thinking. I would greatly appreciate any advice on a pair of bookshelf speakers that might fill the void. I know this may sound illogical, but perhaps a pair that creates something somewhat similar to the Magnepan sound. (I understand that the designs are radically different, create different senses of space, etc.) Let's say under $4000. To be clear, I'm not looking for "the best bookshelf speaker" but, for those who know Maggies, the speaker that can have its own identity and yet ... how else to put this? ... make me happy the way my Maggies did.

Thank you very much!
northman
There are some options to capture some of the technology of a panel in a small form factor:

The Eminent Technology LFT-16A.

Also look at the King’s Audio Kingsound Princess III or Queen V.

And one cannot forget the Mini Maggies, which may work for you. 

I reviewed the LFT-8A/B as well as the Kingsound King III for Dagogo.com

Thank you both! Yes, I think they need to be stand speakers. I've moved a couple times since I bought my first Maggies and this house ... just isn't built for them. The only place is in front of big windows that look out over a nice view, so nothing I want to block. I've read terrific things about the LRS and they would be my go-to suggestion for anyone starting up in this hobby, but alas they're too big. I need true stand/bookshelf speakers. 

There's a world of speakers that I just don't know. Frankly, I assumed that I couldn't get the sound I wanted from a bookshelf but many of the comments out here have made me rethink that. I've listened to the Dynaudio Contour 20 and Special 40 (I hope I have those names right from memory), and they were impressive. I was intrigued by the mention out here of Joseph Audio Pulsars; I looked into them but they're out of my budget (probably). 

Douglas_Schroeder, thank you for those suggestions. Honestly, I don't know those speakers, so I'm excited to do a little research!
You are most welcome. Its probably just as well with the glass behind the speakers to not have rear firing drivers. You dont really want the refletions off the glass any more than you will already. Good luck in your search!
There is a pair of Joseph Audio Pulsars at US Audio Mart for $3600. Excellent imaging, soundstage, bass, detail, tone, etc., and also rate high on the all-important WAF scale.  Best of luck. 
Try and hear the New Proac Response D2 Rs with their mirror image Ribbon tweeters and refined gear they are pretty amazingly satisfying. Best, JohnnyR Proac DealerAudio Connection