Advantages of owning equipment from major audio brands vs. boutique shops?

As someone new to home audio, the many brands of equipment is overwhelming. I learn about a new brand almost daily. Today it was Valvet and their A4 MKII monoblocks. Is it correct to assume that advantage to owning equipment from the major players is a result of the dollars they invest in R&D and the company stability, translating to piece of mind via their warranty, and the ability to get a component repaired? I would think resale value also plays a factor.

Because the small shops often sell direct, cutting out layers of profit, there appear to be some good deals on well performing kit. Other than price, are there advantages to investing in boutique brand equipment? It seems the offset to a better price might be their instability in the market, resulting in possibly owning a very heavy, expensive paper weight should they close their doors and your component need service, and a lessor resale value.

kcpellethead
I think it's more a matter of focus and capabilities.

I think the best thing you can do is develop your own level of understanding of what you like to listen to, what you want to hear, independent of reviewers or pundits (like me).

In terms of repair, the boutique gear is often more repairable. How many boutique preamp makers can afford their own custom VLSI chips and firmware?  No, the gear will be much more basic, made from components that you can still buy decades from now. This goes for speakers as well as amps and preamps.

The advantage is in owning what sounds really good and lasts a really long time. When that is known to be the case nothing else really matters. 

In other words you got it completely wrong. You are not investing in a brand, boutique or otherwise. You are not investing at all. You are building a music system. Focus on that, and that alone, and the eventual resale value of what you buy will take care of itself.
Stepping into the audio world is a long and winding road. If you can, go listen. If you get a chance go to a trade show. I’m lucky and get to attend one of the largest in the country as Denver is very close to me. Or, just go to a smaller show. Budget is key and finding what you like, whatever brand is a process. Usually, starting out with brands of long duration, and know quantities, is a good idea as they have heritage behind them and usually have a “sound” if you will. Most important... have fun. It’s a deep well, very deep. Toes first.
First of all, hi fi equipment is one of the worst investments you could possibly make. We throw our money away for the love of music although I suspect a fair number of us have our ego invested in it. 
I personally always believe it is safest buying your equipment from well established reputable firms with a track record of making great equipment. There are also several designers I follow closely. Although Millercarbon is right, simple equipment is easier to fix no piece of gear should break till it is at least 20 years on, at that point it is worth nothing and as tech moves on there is probably much better equipment available.

A lot of variables.  Huge companies can be a nightmare dealing with to get a repair done (Sony, Marantz) and will eventually let the serviceability of a component expire.  Also, look at the thread on repairing Esoteric.

Small companies may close, but if they don't you're likely to get years and years of attentive care, concern, and if necessary service.

Different companies also have different identities: look at Bryston and their fabulous after-market rep.

Different components are going to have different lifetimes--a loudspeaker vs. the latest DAC.  You may well want to keep one going long after ditching the other.

Also, different components have different levels of repairability regardless of whether the original company is still around; again, a loudspeaker vs. e.g. a CD-player.

This doesn't even get into issues like specialization, commitment to a product type, experience, knowledge, R&D resources, etc. etc.