Martin Logan Quest Z Bass - can it be fixed ?

Ok, I'm about to pick some of these up...auditioned them today for about an hour. Yes, like others have written/found, the bass is muddy. It would be liveable for quite a while, but I'm just wondering, what can be done about it ? Maybe a Velodyne sub ?
mikey44
I wonder how the Ascent I would sound compared to the Quest Z?

I could 'live' with the Quest if I had to :)
Coltrane1, the only bubble you might be bursting is the one containing your credibility. 85 dB? Is that a sales pitch in the middle of your thread? Sure you, might be satisfied with the results of your system, and while I'm confident that some here might enjoy some aspects of the sound it's producing, some would also be disappointed with the inability of the ML's to perform at it's best in other circumstances.
Ok, well, I hooked up (finally :) the Maggie SMGa's I've had here...too much stuff...

They sound pretty good, not the same as the Quest Z's mids and highs but very nice...a little light in the bass, but...

I also have Maggie MGIIa's that need rewiring. And, with a little research I find some average prices:
SMGa - $300
MGIIa - 420

So I get to wondering, should I get the MGIIa's rewired ? They're very very nice otherwise. I'm a believer in the theory that $ = quality, so, maybe I should sell the SMGa's and keep the MGIIa's ? This is alongside the 'quest' for a better panel/hybrid also of course...one never knows what Santa will bring home (Quest Z's ?) right ?
FWIW, IMHO, There are things that the ML's do better than the Maggies, but ultimately I prefer the overall balance of the Maggies. I think the 3 series is the sweet spot in the Maggie line, with enough range and balance not to leave one (well maybe just me :-)) wanting, and ultimately providing the most satisfaction for the money.
Yea, I see a bunch of MG3.6R's for sale...just a little more than I wanted to spend (unless I were to sell something) now. There are a pair 2 hrs away I may hear, and he also has Acoustat 1+1's for sale too.