Cartridge, Compliance, try what in my JVC UA-7082 Arm?

So, what to try in my new JVC UA-7082 Tonearm when it comes? (effective length 282mm) (11-1/8")

Guidelines? Advice? (I never bothered learning about compliance, I guess now's the time).

Anyone know the Mass of the UA-7082 Tonearm without a cartridge _______?

Self Imposed Restrictions:

High Output, 4.0mV or more (to avoid tube preamp hum zone until it's repaired).

MM Only. (I am fundamentally opposed to MC pre-pre amp, as well as needing high output).

Motley Crew On Hand:

4 headshells, none special

Shure MicroRidge Stylus and V15VxMR Cartridge

Shure V15VMR Cartridge (no stylus, I gave it a dirty look and it broke, horribly brittle shaft)

Shure 97xe Elliptical Stylus and Cartridge (despite it's low pedigree it's my current favorite).

Shure N78S Stylus (fits 97xe) (I did not inherit the 78's someone threatened me with).

Shure M44E Stylus and Cartridge

Audio Technica MicroLine AT440ML OOC Stylus and Cartridge

Audio Technica AT7000 body, no stylus

Audio Technica ATP-2

Audio Technica Series VIII P mount 

Audio Technica ___? Came with the AT120 TT (tracks 2.5g, I never used it) 

It's a busy time, it doesn't get here till mid Jan, so theirs time to research.

Thanks in advance, Elliott

elliottbnewcombjr
Well,

I have tricky ways to avoid pushing the preamp volume up to hum zone. With current 4.0mV output, the hum starts just above my preferred maximum, that is why I am looking for high output, equal to 4.0mV.

alt. use 1. Current. 

TT  to McIntosh tube tuner/preamp mx110z (thru preamp for it's wonderful Phono EQ), Then preamp to Cayin A88T tube amp, via Cayin's 'preamp in", (just a thruput). Volume is from McIntosh preamp.  Volume limited by hum.

alt use 2.

TT to preamp for it's Phono EQ. Importantly, it has 2 MM phono inputs. I will use 1 for 12" stereo arm, other for 9" mono arm.

Then, the difference, plug the preamp into any Cayin amp line in, get volume from Cayin amp, no nooise of any kind.

alt use 3.

Now possible, using current TT (won't be option for TT81/7082/7045).

This would work until I have the preamp overhauled.

Audio-Technica has built-in phono preamp. I use it, go straight to Tube Amp, skip going thru McIntosh preamp.

In spring get preamp overhauled by McIntosh, solving hum.

As I say, with 97xe 4.0mV, the hum starts just above. If I get lower output, then we get into hum territory.

So, we find a stiff Mono cartridge IF I buy a Victor 7045 arm,

or, I get a different arm designed for/will work with high output MM Mono cartridge.
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays

Mono Cartridge for UA-7045 arm.

Grado ________ ME+. wgt. 5.5g; track 1.5g; output 5mV.

COMPLIANCE ______?    (exact or range, low, mid, high?) 

I just wrote Grado and asked what the compliance is, and if they think it is ok for JVC UA-7045 arm.

Ortofon 2 Mono, basic $360; 2M Mono SE version $530.

nude shibata r/R6/50um; weighs 7.2g; track 1.5g; output 3.5mV
compliance: dynamic, lateral, 22um/mN

??????????????
There is a good old mono cart that's been around forever it seems.
Denon dl102.
It's a mc but a very homc at 3mv.
It's quite heavy as a result as only way to get that type of mv is more windings, think it's about 13g weight!
They even still make a 3mil tip for 78 playback.
Not going to work in modern lightweight arms for sure.
I may try a Shibata or SAS stylus in the JVC Z1 cartridge that is coming with the TT.

Meanwhile, I am reading that using Shure's Dynamic Stabilizer Brush allows using higher compliance cartridges in some higher mass situations, like the JVC-UA-7082 and 7045 arms. 

I can easily try both my Shure V15Vmr and 97xe, both use the brush.

Shure only gives Static Compliance Specs.

Shure makes a correlation of compliance with designed tracking force, i.e. suspension must be stiffer, less compliant, for higher tracking force. I always set both my Shures at 1.25g successfully using Thorens Td124 with SME 3009, Audio-Technica AT120 with it's similar weight arm. 

from Shure,  June 19, 2015

Static Compliance Specifications and Definition,

The static compliance specifications for Shure phono cartridges are:

V15 Type I - 0.000025 cm per dyne of force
V15 Type II - 0.000025 cm per dyne of force

V15 Type III - 0.000030 cm per dyne of force

V15 Type IV - 0.000025 cm per dyne of force

V15 Type V (all versions) - 0.000025 cm per dyne of force

All cartridges that track from 0.75 to 1.5 grams - 0.000025 cm per dyne of force

All cartridges that track from 1.5 to 3.0 grams - 0.000020 cm per dyne of force

All cartridges that track from 2.0 to 4.0 grams - 0.000015 cm per dyne of force

All cartridges that track from 3.0 to 5.0 grams - 0.000010 cm per dyne of force

Note: Static compliance is an indicator of low frequency tracking only.

High frequency tracking is dependent upon stylus mass and stylus stiffness. High frequency tracking is specified (when available) by trackability specifications.

In basic terms, compliance is the opposite for stiffness. High stiffness = low compliance. Low stiffness = high compliance. The static compliance of a phono stylus is determined by the stiffness of the elastic bushing that supports the stylus shank.

Look above at the V15 Type I. Apply one dyne of force (by pushing sideways) on the stylus tip and the tip moves 0.000025 cm away from its resting spot. A stylus that requires a greater tracking force is less compliant because the stylus shank is more robust, and the heavier shank requires a stiffer elastic bushing for support.

Analogy: A plastic straw can be supported by a soft elastic bushing. That same bushing would collapse if the straw were made of iron."