I Had a Chance to Finally Demo the Black Cat Digit-75

Well, I recently had the opportunity to try out the Black Cat Digit-75. And truthfully I was a bit skeptical about how much better it would be over my Black Cat Silverstar 75 MkII. But I was willing to give it a shot.

Wow!! Simply Wow!!

The soundstage is deeper and a tad bit wider! And if I had to describe it, it would be like saying the BC Silverstar 75 MkII is the "skeleton" (and a very fine skeleton). But the Digit-75 is the meat on the bones!! Both are magnificent, but I have a very revealing system so I can hear quite clearly any coloration or lack thereof. These cables have the same clarity, however, the Digit-75 provided more "body." The biggest difference I noticed was the increase in the midrange. It was full-bodied and warmer and in comparison, the Silverstar 75 MkII was a bit "thinner" sounding and more analytical. Both are extremely fine cables with excellent PRAT. But the broader and noticeably deeper soundstage of the Digit-75 won me over! It was as if the singers were closer to you and the arena (for live performances in particular) was larger.

I listened to Diane Krall's, Live in Paris, and it sounded like I was only a few rows back from the stage. There is a certain liveliness to the sound that the SilverStar doesn't have. There's this almost 3-D quality that is organic and not forced.

I was equally impressed by the fact the bass was actually better! But it wasn't "bloomy" sounding or overblown, just more full-bodied and robust while maintaining all the same naturalness and without any extra coloration. That is a very hard trick to pull off.

I would say the SilverStar cable leans slightly toward the analytical side of neutral while the Digit-75 leans more towards the warmer side of neutral.  But both are very good and neither is fatiguing (as has been my experience with what I consider at least to be analytical-sounding cables, and why I don't like some of AudioQuest's higher-end line of cables like The Thunderbird).

The highs are nicely balanced with the mids and bass and overall the sound is beautifully cohesive and coherent.  It is not as liquid sounding as some other digital cables, but just right for those who like a very balanced cable that is able to accentuate highs, mids, and lows through great layering.

Now the "perfectionist" conundrum...

Should I just go with the "top-of-the-line" TRON which is reputed to be even BETTER!! And never have to wonder, "What if??" Or go with the Digit-75 and consider the Law of Diminishing Returns?

(The advertisement says The Digit-75 is a "trickle down" TRON and costs nearly 3-times less).
mrc4u
Hi Guys 
sorry for not mentioning the model numbers of the black cat cables.
Interconnects are 3202 xlr from preamp to power amp.
Interconnect 3202 rca from preamp to Dac.
Speaker cables 3232 pr.
I have had in the past numerous cables 
Mit, Cardas,Audioquest,Nordost,Mojo audio etc. and I always find something was 
missing emotionally until I got involved with Black Cat ( there could be better out there)
and I find myself now extremely involved 
like you are there 2-3 row seats.
Extremely coherent from top to bottom 
very well balance none fatiguing.
My other gears are Jeff Rowland Concerto 
preamp,Ayre V5xe,Mojo Mystique V2plus
dac,Jays Audio cdt2 mk2 Transport ,
Usher DMD Mini 2 speakers and a pair of 
Rel T7I subs.
Also I have been in this hobby for over 30 years.
There you have it.
Thanks for looking.
Fi.

Hi,
I was using a Black Cat Veloce with my new Schiit Bifrost 2 Dac. It easily trounced Unison USB and other digital cables; some many times more expensive than the Veloce. Sound was more transparent, natural and 3D with the Veloce. Based on the thoughtful insight of the members on this thread, I decided to purchase a Digit 75 Mk Ii. Member mrc4U described it perfectly. IMHO there is more body to the vocalists with the other band members slightly recessed deeper in the soundstage. So natural and lifelike! Thanks guys!