Best CD player now made.

I am interested in getting the best CD player out there as one of my digital sources. I have a few candidates but I wanted some other opinions. Any suggestions on the Sony's top player or Mark Levinson, or even the BAT tubed affair. I realise the Transport and the DAC might be superior but I wanted to stay below 5 digits. Thanks,
thomasea1
Wadia 270/27ix using Aura Symphoin Optimism glass for clock link and Transparent REF Digital for signal path, as well as the Wadia Power DAC using the same cableing with 270 transport, or the Linn Sondek CD12. All others are not even close with exception of top Naim with out board power supply (close but not quite, but for the cost it is worth a lsiten), then the top meridian is also worth a listend for the money but still not up to the top three. Sony SACD, close when playing the SACD's but no titles available and will never fly (FACT). Also when listening and comparing the CD12, use a referance preamp, not a mid line preamp, these preamps will not be true referance comparisons as well as using top end cables over mid line which tend to be colored cables. When it is all said and done, most likely the Linn CD12 will come out on top along with Wadia. The Krell's Top CD/Pre?, not even close in my opinion, and any Japanese brand can not even touch the knees let alone the shoulders of the referance CD players listed, I owned the Denon DPS1 ($8K) what a joke, Sony's top X7 (almost comical in comparison), CEC TL0 MKII (No way, very similar sonic signature as the Denon DP-S1) and can give it away for 30% of retail. But we all have different ears enjoy your search as I have been through everything just listed and more to come up with my top three picks.
Trying to narrow down amps to buy used for $2000 or less. Now have Proac Response 2.5's, CJ PV12a preamp. Selling my CJ Premier 11a to gain more rythmic punch, drive and woofer control but do not want to go too far towards an analytical sound. Looking at Levinson 27.5, Threshold Stasis 200, Plinius 100, Bryston 4BST. Any first hand experience and opinions? Thanks. Chet McHenry
I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the Pioneer PD-65. Great unit, a little old but still sounds fabulous. The sony's aren't bad but I feel the Pioneer's a little better (you can get it used for around $400). It's a close call, but you can't go wrong with the older sony es' or the pioneer. Also, I woulkd like to check out the better DVD (like the Pioneer mentioned) players to see if the rumours are true that they offer premium sound for a pauper's price. In addition, I agree with the sentiment that it's crazy to spend thousands on a rapdily advancing technology like CD, due to extemely poor resale value (unless this doesn't matter). I'd much rather spend that money on LP recordings and analog.'Nuff said.