Should Subwoofer Be Plugged Into Same Circuit?

I am running electrical lines for my theater myself. Should I make the outlet for the sub on the same circuit as the rest of the AV equipment, or put it on a separate circuit?

i could have sworn I read something that said it needs to be on the same circuit to help prevent ground loops.
craigert
Subs are typically Class D.....don't use much electricity at all  Craigert...I have a gizmo called FloodStop on my water heater, washing machine, water conditioner, etc.  If it senses water on the floor, it immediately shuts it off.  Easy to install....very effective. Get it at Home Depot.
@craigert, being familiar with Ieales’ posts I can vouch for the accuracy of analyses he provides. Also, given the equipment in your system that you’ve listed in another thread, namely:

Sony OLED TV, Marantz preamp processor, Atoll amp, cable box, nighthawk router, Xbox, Rega P3 TT, and powered 12” subwoofer with 2 stereo speakers.

... it seems safe to assume that a 15 amp circuit and 14 gauge wiring of reasonable length (e.g. 50 or 75 feet or so) would be suitable for powering your equipment.

Of course installing a 20 amp circuit can’t hurt, and conceivably could provide added flexibility in the future. I would be more concerned about the drop of a volt or two or three that would occur due to the resistance of that wiring (depending on the current drawn by the components as well as the length of the wires) if a tube amp having unregulated filament (as well as high voltage) supplies were involved. And there are some very high powered solid state amplifiers which can require a separate 20 amp circuit even for each of two monoblocks, but those are big, heavy monsters which typically are at the extreme upper end of the price spectrum. Different animals altogether.

Regarding the possibility of adverse sonic effects from GFCI or AFCI/GFCI outlets, I have no particular knowledge. FWIW, though, my instinct would be to doubt that there would be any adverse effects. For one thing, if significant voltage was being dropped in their contacts they would be heating up significantly.

Best regards,
-- Al

@almarg 

Thanks for the link to Bill Whitlock's paper!
I was aware of the nasty effect from dimmers. Seems the paper is pre-LED lightning emerged. Are you aware of how "noisy" LED power supplies are and/or how to mitigate said noise being injected in the circuit? I'll be making changes to my room and this is a topic I had in mind.

FWIW, lights are on separate circuits in my house.

Regards 
@lewinskih01

I have no particular knowledge of the technical characteristics of electrical noise that can be generated by LED lighting, although I understand that it can be significant. I found the following writeup, though, which indicates that the amount of noise can vary drastically among identically rated LEDs, depending on the manufacturer and how they have implemented the design:

https://healthybuildingscience.com/2013/09/10/emi-and-leds-not-all-leds-are-the-same/

Best regards,
-- Al