Question on phono input noise levels

Earlier this year, I had my Parasound P5 Preamp connected to my 35+ year old Bang and Olufsen turntable, with a moving magnet cartridge. I noticed that with the turntable connected (including the ground wire) I noticed quite a bit of hiss when not playing a record and the turntable was idle. In other words, the noise level was much higher when the input selector on the P5 was set to phono vs. other inputs.  Later, I upgraded to the Parasound P6 preamp. I noticed the same hiss, when the volume was turned up. I just assumed it was the turntable, since the problem (albeit minor) happened with both preamps.

As some of you may recall from a recent posting, I just purchased a new turntable. Yesterday, I received it - my new Rega P8 turntable with factory installed Alpheta2 moving coil cartridge. The hiss is worse!! So now I have experienced this background hiss with two different preamps and turntables. is this normal?  I'm wondering if the higher gain needed for the moving coil cartridge is adding to the noise level.  Could I be expecting too much out of the phono preamp section of the P6?

Note that both the turntable and amps have power run through an Audioquest Niagara 1200 line filter, so I do not think it is AC noise.  But the noise level is much higher on "phono" compared with other inputs.  Do any of you all notice this with your equipment?

btanchors
0.3mv is right about average for a lomc and should not truly produce excessive hiss with a quality Phonostage.
60 to 65db of gain should be more than adequate, the higher the gain, sure it will require less volume control to play louder but the background hash or hiss will be conversely increased as well.
I used to always go with the least gain possible for a decent listening level and no more.

But of late I have also gone the SUT route and run into a MM only Phonostage right now.
One table has some slight hiss ( yes Miller my Garrard 401!) But my DD tables are both inky black silent.

I am not familiar with the p6, does it have adjustable gain or is it simply mm or mc options only?
Definitely no hum or buzzing.  Just a combination of “hiss” and a “rushing” noise.  I can hear it at my listening position, at a volume setting I would consider to be medium.  The sound comes out of both the tweeter and midrange drivers.  The output of the cartridge is 0.3 millivolts - is that considered a low or medium output for a moving coil cartridge?

Sounds perfectly normal to me. My Koetsu Black Goldline goes Origin Live Conqueror arm via hardwired OL phono lead into a Herron VTPH2A. There's better, but this will do. The Koetsu is 0.4mV, Herron 64 dB gain, Talon Khorus are about 94 dB or thereabouts. At a nice satisfying volume I can hear the exact same sound you describe- from the door 20 feet away. Easily.

Read mulveling again, he nailed it.