How many times have you ...

bought a remaster from the original tape or otherwise and it sounded worse than your decades old original?  For me it is almost always.  Anyone know the reason a pristine original copy isn’t recorded to a master tape and repressed?  
wlutke
@millercarbon Good post. So I head over to betterrecords.com. Jeez.WHS are expensive. I'm reassured that if I ever become a billionaire, I'll know what to spend some of it on.
I always prefer original pressings, for some BIG names there can be a Japanese pressing from the same tape too. But i try to avoid any modern reissues as much as i can, only if the original will cost a half grand or so. I am more happy to invest in originals (LPs, "12s, "10s or "7s).  
Original Columbia, Decca, London, Mercury, RCA Red, etc. from the early sixties thru the seventies are relatively inexpensive and can give you a taste of clean, clear, transparent, in-the-room sound that is missing from many modern digital recordings and re-issues.
Speaking of which, I was at a show with Chad Kassem demoing Acoustic Sounds' remastered records. Tony Bennett, Hendrix etc. if memory serves me correctly. While the new versions were noise-free and sounded good, the originals, to my ears, were actually blacker, clearer, more transparent, and more enjoyable if not somewhat noisier due to age.
The reissue thing seems to be  hit or miss. Gave up on them.
Always a miss to my ears. Or, perhaps it's just nostalgia. My teen years caught the end of R&R-mid 70s?

I've mentioned in other threads that R&R albums sound as if the bass is punched up.

I have a few record stores in my neighborhood. One of them used to be a source(may still be,but the scouts work on the down low)for Tom Port(Mr Hot Stamper)

I get my stampers for 6-8 bucks.I have the $500 SD Pretzel Logic "WHITE HOT STAMPER" and $300 Yes- Close to the Edge.