How many times have you ...

bought a remaster from the original tape or otherwise and it sounded worse than your decades old original?  For me it is almost always.  Anyone know the reason a pristine original copy isn’t recorded to a master tape and repressed?  
wlutke
I prefer and search for original pressings. Still, paying hundred for a particular copy of Rumours seems questionable! I am not that neurotic!
In your case it may very well be your entire system is balanced for those older recordings. :)

As for me, it kind of depends. I've heard a number of remasters that I honestly can't hear any difference at all, then I bought a RM of Pink Floyd's DSotM and they ruined all the effects. I think the RM was MoFi.

@millercarbon Good post. So I head over to betterrecords.com. Jeez.WHS are expensive. I'm reassured that if I ever become a billionaire, I'll know what to spend some of it on.
I always prefer original pressings, for some BIG names there can be a Japanese pressing from the same tape too. But i try to avoid any modern reissues as much as i can, only if the original will cost a half grand or so. I am more happy to invest in originals (LPs, "12s, "10s or "7s).  
Original Columbia, Decca, London, Mercury, RCA Red, etc. from the early sixties thru the seventies are relatively inexpensive and can give you a taste of clean, clear, transparent, in-the-room sound that is missing from many modern digital recordings and re-issues.