Can you put a Krell in an apartment?

As you see I am a total "goner" living in a cheap apartment with about 50 grand in Audiophile equipment. I am looking at purchasing an old krell "FPB 400 CX" amp that the manufacturer says needs a dedicated 20 amp line. Can you still run this amp off a regular electrical outlet? If you can, will it sound like crap? 
jeffvegas
It sure makes feel better knowing there is someone who has outdone me. Almost like attending an AA meeting where you are welcome and appreciated. The real winner in that combo is not the Krell 750's BUT you had TWO REL's hooked up living in an apartment. Priceless. 
andynotadam,did your upstairs neighbors ever call down any requests? Those have to have been the best neighbors ever.
Could not and should not is sometimes two different things.
As pointed out by oddio there is a bit of nonsense, at least mis-understanding, here. By law, any device, appliance, or component actually requiring a 20A circuit must be equipped with or required by the manufacture to have a 20A rated cord with a 20A plug (easy to recognize as the neutral spade is at a right angle to the hot spade - so it can not be plugged into a 15A socket) Looking at the amp's specs and photos of it's dedicated power cord, with a standard 15A plug, I can say that a 20A circuit is not required. Can it be plugged into a 20A circuit - Yes. Is a 20A circuit required to operate this amp - No. So that is the answer too "Could".
As far as "Should" - well that depends on a few things. First, is the building and included apartments up to code? Second do you have an outlet on the wall where you would put the amp, that you can leave as dedicated, with nothing else plugged into that circuit? Third, where ever you put the amp, make sure it plugs directly Into the outlet (no extension cords).
Upgrading the outlet would help and possibly a good power conditioner (depending on if the power from the outlet is noisy and on what Krell  (not a dealer , but the tech dept. at Krell) recommends.
I would say it would work fine as long as you're not driving a pr of 1 Ohm Apogees at 110db. In which case they'd probably kick you out anyway...Jim

Jeff, the whole power issue with the Krell 400cx and similar generation amps is very confusing and IMO, Krell is to blame.

The owners manual is clear and supports what Krell told you in your original post.

From the 400cx owners manual.

"Make sure the AC line is at least 15 amps for 300cx and 350Mc amplifiers; 400cx, 450Mcx, 700cx, and 750Mcx amplifiers should be operated from a dedicated 20-amp line."

Issue
The power cord unlike the previous generation FPB series is captive (sealed); so adding 20 amp service would entail making modifications to the power cord. Like cutting off the wall side and attaching the 20 amp plug. Who would want to do this on a multi thousand dollar brand new amp at the time? imo - Krell only did the 15 amp wall plug especially on the 400cx and up models for sales.

FYI
Pre CX series Krell amps had detachable cords. One could see the 20amp outlet design on the amp. The factory cord was a "dummy" power cord that had a 20 amp plug on the amp side and a 15 amp plug for the wall. All owners I know, including me, would just add in 20amp service and buy or make an aftermarket 20 amp power cord.

Cheers

Jeff,

I know some of your comments are in jest, but, the idea of comparing outrageous apartment systems, with the measure being the inappropriateness of the gear seems to be the wrong approach to making a good actual choice.  The best sound is achieved by employing the right gear for the apartment setting.  This does not necessarily mean tiny speakers and really low-powered amps.  

For example, if you look in Japanese audio magazines, you will see a lot of systems with very large horn-based speakers in tiny apartments.  Why?  It is because horns can sound extremely vibrant and alive when actually playing at quite low volume--a good attribute in an apartment with thin walls.  That horn systems also tend to be very efficient is another great attribute because most of the very best amplifiers (in my opinion) are low-powered amps.

You can also get very dynamic sound at low volume with high efficiency fullrange drivers used either in single-driver fullrange systems or with the full-range driver used in multi-way systems.  Most of these types of systems are also quite efficient.

Even large dipole panel speakers might be appropriate in an apartment, if you can get them out into the room.  Dipoles tend to concentrate the sound within a narrow field (the back and front wave are out of phase and cancel at the sides) and will sound pretty loud without spilling that loudness throughout the apartment (and into the next apartment).

There are many other ways to achieve good apartment sound, but, large subwoofers and hundreds of watts of power are the least likely way to get there.