Congratulations Atmasphere!

I noticed today that Ralph Karsten (whom regular and even occasional participants in this forum will of course recognize as the designer and proprietor of Atma-Sphere Music Systems, as well as a uniquely valuable contributor to the forum) was granted United States patent number 10,469,042 on November 5, 2019. It covers an audio amplification technique he had indicated here that he has been developing, which in simple terms appears to me to basically be a clever combination of an analog-to-pulse train converter (as used in traditional class D amplifiers for example, among other audio-related applications), with an output stage employing circlotron topology (analogous to the topology used in his OTL power amplifiers, but utilizing solid state devices).

Link to the Patent.

Congratulations Ralph!!

Best regards,
--Al

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalmarg
I wonder. TACT made an amplifier that was essentially a power DAC. It took a digital signal and converted it to a PWM at I believe it was 9 mHz 
This was converted to analog in the output stage. Volume was controlled by raising and lowering the voltage to the output stage with all the digital remaining a 0 dB, the highest resolution. It was a great sounding amp.
I wonder if this is what Ralph has in mind. Since he now has the patent I wonder if he would care to elucidate? Earth to Ralph, you out there?

Mike
The first rule of avoiding patent challenges is to say as little as possible about the invention after the patent issues.  So I won't ask any questions, because if I were Ralph, I wouldn't say anything the patent doesn't say.  But I do wish to offer my congratulations to Ralph.  It will be quite interesting to see how products based on this invention perform.   

I could not be happier (perhaps ignorance is bliss) with my M-60s.  I'd be at a loss to imagine how they could be improved upon with respect to sound.   Not saying the M-60s are the worlds best sounding amps, just saying that my 3.3s with the current tube complement have not been bettered by anything I personally have heard at any price. 

Now if the new technology closely approached the sound of my 3.3s, had better stability into low impedance loads, and produced less heat, I'd be willing to take a hard look.   

Duke observed that Ralph has a special gift for understanding what is important to the ear.  I agree based on my experience with the M-60s and also based on his astute contributions to this forum.  So I'm expecting that any product that comes out of his shop is going to sing sweetly.  I'll be following any new product releases.
Drat, Ralph beat me to the patent office!  With my vast technical knowledge of electronics I have absolutely no idea what any of this is talking about.  But I do want to congratulate you Ralph, know it will be successful and must say that I will be more than a little interested in following the roll-out.
I could not be happier (perhaps ignorance is bliss) with my M-60s.  I'd be at a loss to imagine how they could be improved upon with respect to sound.   Not saying the M-60s are the worlds best sounding amps, just saying that my 3.3s with the current tube complement have not been bettered by anything I personally have heard at any price.
This is all about the way the loudspeaker and amplifier work together. Some speakers don't like a lot of damping and then our OTLs play them nicely. Other loudspeakers simply can't be driven well by any tube amp without feedback; that's what the class D is for. In both cases the idea is to minimize higher ordered harmonic production and IMD to prevent harshness.

Someday maybe there will be a 'universal amplifier' but IMO that's still a ways off.

Thanks for all your comments :)  Have a Happy Thanksgiving!