Does the 'Buck' Start with the DAC?

Some members have expressed that the server / streaming front end is less important than the DAC.

I subscribe to the position that "Everything Matters"

As I consider front end choices, I'm trying to gauge if I should be leaning more heavily on a DAC versus a SOURCE (server / streamer).

Feedback and perspective from both camps, or any others, will be helpful. Thank you.

Please Note:  I'm not looking for validation of the position that "only the bits" matter... I accept that some believe this wholeheartedly... and that's okay by me. 
david_ten
Thank you, for the above posts. All are helpful.

It’s good getting feedback on strongly held positions, as they inform.
The problem is finding a really good server/streamer that matches your dac properly.

@worldwidewholesales  Other than the matching components, within the brand...are there other approaches you recommend?

For example, have some of your clients matched the Rockna Wavedream Net with other DACs? And to what outcome? Thanks.

Hi, 

I have been very fortunate to hear many dacs with my Rockna server. Two weeks ago we had a Nagra HD ($30000) dac traded in on the Rockna Signature dac. The Nagra HD was a very nice sounding dac but is now sold.

There are many people that purchase a Rockna WD Net server and keep their own dac. There are also many people that like the idea of a perfectly matching server and dac via i2S connection and a built in clock.

There is no wrong or right but instead just personal preference. I recommend people just play and have fun with audio. If you have a great dac that you prefer than keep it and build around that dac.

Cheers,

@worldwidewholesales   Is the Wavedream NET both a Roon Core and Roon Endpoint/Renderer? Thanks.
I am using a Musica Pristina A Capella server connected via I2S HDMI to my Denafrips Terminator dac.  It is a superb combination and considerably superior to the PS Audio DS dac that I had previously.  My server has a 1 TB ssd storing my music.  I have not gotten on the streamer bandwagon.