Mattresses, not stereos is where the money is

On my way to Macy’s, to buy a bed, which is about 6 blocks from my office, I passed by literally 6 different mattress stores. 3 of them practically on the same block.

The competition is fierce, and it seems almost all of them were selling Tempurpedic and Sealy (which I think are owned by the same company.) They even had at least one paid sign holder with a sign directing you 1 block away to another store.

Think of that. 6 stores selling $500-$4500 goods, in a Los Angeles suburb. They are all paying rent, and staying open.

I know the average retail markup for stereo gear is around 45%. What must the mark up be for mattress stores to stay open with this much competition? 90%?

I still went to Macy’s. :) Two simultaneous discounts + a modular bed system with replaceable coils sang to my geek heart.

By comparison, the nearest high end audio store is about 30 minutes away.
erik_squires
The mattress people make it almost impossible to comparison shop.

They change the name of the models depending upon the store that's selling them.  The manufacturer's name stays the same, but the name of the model changes.

What you see at the mattress store is the same mattress you see at Macy's ...  just different labels. 

Frank
"The mattress people make it almost impossible to comparison shop.

They change the name of the models depending upon the store that's selling them. The manufacturer's name stays the same, but the name of the model changes.

What you see at the mattress store is the same mattress you see at Macy's ... just different labels. "
That is the most frustrating part of mattress shopping. Also,testing a mattress out in the store is kind of like trying audio equipment in a room other than your own, it's too hard to tell how you're going to like it long term. 
We ended up buying a latex foam mattress from a local manufacturer with a great reputation.