A visit to the (Audio) Doctor

Looking at audio equipment can be a painful experience, sort of like looking at new (or used cars) or a trip to the dentist. I spent 4.5 hours at Audio Doctor in New Jersey. It was a great experience. Dave left a meeting early to see me. He knew that I was not looking at his very high end stuff, but he spent the whole day with me. No pressure, changing speakers many times and going back to a couple of them repeatedly. I have it narrowed down to two speakers, Vivid 1.5 or Janszen Valentia with air motion. Leaning toward the Vivids (pending wife approval). The shop is full of lots of incredible audio equipment at all price ranges. Clearly this is a business that is run out of appreciation of sound rather than maximizing profits.I am hesitant to go to small intimate shops like this out of concerns or pressure. This was just the opposite. Highly recommended.
crwindy
I've had good luck with Audio Doctor however I've never required service from a component I purchased from them. I have no doubt though that they would be great with that too. 

With that being said, I have a problem with a guy (who signed up to Audiogon just to bash a dealer who didn't bow in his general direction OR, more likely, an existing Audiogon member who signed up under another moniker just so he/she can mask their identity) who buys a product direct from a dealer in Canada and then feels its a US dealers' responsibility to service it.

If the dealer in Canada was good enough to buy from, ship to you internationally, pay appropriate duties (because I'm certain you/they declared the appropriate value) and still provide you the value you wanted then I'm sure they are good and honorable enough to service that product. Oh, it takes extra time? That's part of the risk you assumed when buying from them. Oh its inconvenient to ship internationally? Thats the way it goes.

I personally enjoy the posts from Audiotroy, they always disclose they are dealers of a given product and they dont always recommend their own products but they always tell you how they feel. At the end of the day, I believe this troll @jtrelin should ask the dealer from whom he/she purchased their gear to service it. A high quality tech employed by a high quality shop is an expensive endeavor, all in well into 6 figures with salary and burden. Its not their responsibility to support your decision to save a few hundred bucks on your purchase you made elsewhere.
Audio  Drs..... This is not an AudioDr. ad. These pages are for all that read them.   I'm not pushing anyone....just advice to hear all that there is so that the right choice is made. 
Re: service.... I always touch base with the manufacturer. Another reason I like to buy American.  Happy Veterans Day to all.
One comment....A salesman's job is to sell. Self education and understanding your need's is all on you :)   & BTW, good luck and have fun!

A good salesman will ask questions to help get you good sound. Referrals are a big part of a successful business and customer satisfaction creates referrals.
Steve, you are spot on!  A good salesman is someone who educates as well as asks questions.

When we spec out a speaker system we ask questions:

1: Room size
2: Matching gear
3: Type of music you listen to
4: Visual or size preferences and or requriements.
5: How loud do you play?
6: Do you have a sonic palate preference ie a warmer or more detailed sound?
7: Image specificty do you like? Ie a big soundstage without focus or more focus image?
8: Bass response you are trying to create
9: Price range
10: What kind of speakers do you presently own along with the rest of the system and what do you like and what are you desiring to improve?

What we find facsinating is how many people just blurt out over and over again on these forums the same set of speakers that of course they own therefore they are right for everyone.

For this reason we sell lots of different brands of loudspeakrs because one size does not fit all.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ