Looking to improve CD playback

Ok, currently I am using a Arcam DV137 DVD player as a transport into a Bryston BDA-1 DAC via SPDIF coax.

I am considering the purchase of the Mirror Audio Tubador III DAC and the NuPrime CDT-8 dedicated CD transport. I have been keeping up with the threads regarding the Tubador DAC.

The Tubador can be purchased with I2S output via HDMI I believe this is an additional $400 cost to a $1500 DAC. The CDT-8 has I2S output via HDMI. I believe the general consensus is that I2S is the best interlink between digital components however have no personal experience using I2S. I know there are different connection types other than HDMI for I2S however lack knowledge about the benefits of any of the different types. I am looking for feedback on this DAC/Transport combination regarding benefits of the I2S connection provided.  

Obviously, I have options regarding timing of purchases. I could buy a the transport 1st and use SPDIF into my BDA-1 to explore the benefits of the CD only transport over my DVD player. I could purchase the Tubador without I2S at a later date. The Tubador could be updated with I2S at a later date if desired.  There are other transports available.

Any thoughts on this rather open ended question?  

mesch
unsound,
nothing at all shabby about the sound direct from those Arcam players, or even from my old Denon 2910 ... but it's all relative ... and as with everything in this wonderful and sometimes crazy hobby ... everything matters as you move up the SQ food/supply chain.
It's hard to decide what to do first when we have to shop on the internet.I feel your pain:)Best of luck to you!
Look into the Sparkler Audio S503 "Spiral" CD player. It can be purchased as a transport or a complete 1 box solution. I have owned mine since early this year and like the naturalness of the sound. I have owned a number of 1 box and transport/dac combos. The last combo, highly modified 47 Labs Flatfish and ANK 2.1b Sig Dac was north of $8k. The $1700.00 S503 is close and IMHO an outstanding solution for redbook playback. Here is a review from John Richardson of Part-time Audiophile done back in August of this year...

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/08/11/sparkler-audio-spiral-ether-review/
http://sparkler-audio.com/portfolio/S503_en.html
Bought mine here...http://charneyaudio.com/sparkler.html
Hope you find a satisfying set up,
R

Nobody has figured out how to stop scattered laser light from entering the photodetector. Actually, it’s worse than that. Nobody is aware the scattered light is even a problem. Nor has anyone figured out how to completely stabilize the CD 💿 whilst spinning. Not counting your friend and humble narrator, of course. 🤗 Yes, I know what you’re thinking, doesn’t the Reed Solomon Error Correction fix all of that stuff?

Anyone in the DC metro area who wants to hear just what is possible with CD playback check out BWS Consulting.
Rodge, Thanks for the heads-up on the Sparkler. They have two options for player/transport, the 503 and the 507. I will keep Sparkler on my radar. Interested in the transport version. I remain inyerested in the Tubadour for it tube output stage.