Can an IC based amp be considered 'high end'?

I'm fairly new to this forum so apologies if this has been asked before (I've searched the threads and can't find this question being raised), so here goes...

Most, if not all amplifiers that are regarded as 'high end' are either valve or solid state designs. Is there any reason why an amplifier based on an integrated circuit (chip) shouldn't be considered high-end as well? 47 Labs produced the Gaincard back in 1999 and DIYers have taken the design forward over the intervening years, improving performance, power etc. but there aren't many commercial products based on ICs. In my experience a very well designed IC based amplifier can give any other type of design (with a similar power output) a run for its money, I'm just interested why there aren't many about and whether there is a general opinion that they aren't 'high end', whatever that means.

pragmasi
Either of those are solid state technologies.

Yeah, you're right, I meant discrete solid state.

@pragmasi  Tubes, discrete or ICs, the **intention** is what makes it high end. So yes, an IC-based amplifier can be high end, just the way that tube amps can be entry level and vice versa. Intention has everything to do with it.
Design a high qualify amplifier based around an IC amp ... good power supply decoupling, quality components, etc. Build a high quality amplifier PCB based on said design. Encase most of the circuity in epoxy potting compound to hide what is in there. Put that in a fancy machined aluminum case. Market it as proprietary amplifier design and high end.

Pretty much a given that some audio reviewer(s) will swoon over it.
Opposing perspectives here
@beetlemania - Thanks for the link that's a really interesting article.
 the **intention** is what makes it high end
@atmasphere  - That's an interesting view, I take that to mean an uncompromising focus on audio quality - is that what you mean?

@atdavid - Hah, that's exactly what I was getting at... would the stigma over the use of ICs be enough to put a serious audiophile off of listening to one, or admitting to liking one?