BASH and expired patents

FYI, everyone, the BASH patent is basically expired and that is where ’new’ amplification will very very likely...begin to shift into. Don’t know the exact dates but this is what it looks like is happening..

Just a prediction in potentials, is all...

Basically.....BASH is a class AB or C-ish output stage, combined with a pulsed power supply, where the rail voltages dynamically shift in level, in conjunction with the signal.

This is what class D was trying to side step, one might say -- the BASH patent. The BASH/Indigo patent was considered (by me) the better way but it blocked the path forward.

Now that path is again open and it will very probably be the new thing.

The whole idea is to gain efficiency, but have a non switching output. The BASH patent was the best compromise of quality and efficiency.

For the purposes of high end audio, the ending of the BASH patent will probably spell the end of high quality audio oriented class D amplifier development.

That was a 20 year delay....

The trick about Class D, is to remember or cognate the why of it in the first place. The pulse modulated output is not ideal, the filters can only do so much and create huge complications (The pulsed output and filter as a combination).

BASH sidesteps the worst intractable problems of Class D amplifier design and execution... and gives us the best that a high efficiency compact system can do. The problem of development in that area, was that the BASH patent blocked that entire spectrum of design pathways.

Now that path is open.

I speak a little on it (preliminary realization and musing) over here.
teo_audio
They are similar in functionality, but BASH is a bridged topology and Carver's is not. BASH claims theirs is better, lower IM distortion, but it could have been also to get around patents.
mulveling589 posts10-30-2019 6:41pm
As far as voltage rails following the signal, I thought that’s what the Sunfire amps did? Now ironically, the Sunfire Signature II 600 amp I had some 13 years ago still stands as the worst sounding amp I’ve ever owned.

@kijanki : the AAA circuit is just the feed-forward topology invented by Peter Walker (of Quad fame) back in 1976! He used it in the Quad 405 and later amps. I have a 405 in my collection. It is an excellent sounding amp (90 wpc)! 
@roberjerman:  I found this in "The Poor Audiophile":  

The feed-forward error correction of THX’s AAA™ technology keeps the AHB2 nearly distortion free when driving a heavy load. As noted in our interview with audio legend Laurie Fincham, THX’s Senior Vice President of Audio Research, the AHB2 is the first commercial amplifier in the world to use THX’s patented AAA™ technology to eliminate virtually all forms of distortion.
Perhaps Quad 405 was an early version before AAA was patented.

bump for the bash, due to the whole idea that class D is good.

Bash has, in my thinking,  the potential to be notably better than class d.

small loss of efficiency when going to bash vs class d, but a big opportunity to have no output filter, and much less micro distortions in the resulting waveform coning from the given audio circuit.

Now that the BASH patent is expired, we hope to see some high end audio enthusiast oriented BASH circuits appear.