Universal disc players

Are there any companies currently making universal disc players? Primarily CD audio and Blu-ray/DVD video.

I am aware that Ayre used to make the DX-5 DSD. Is this worth purchasing from the used market? Does Ayre still support/repair them? 

Thanks
audiorusty
audiorusty

I own an AYRE DX-5 in stock form. The DSD upgrade is still available as well as continued customer service for parts in 2019. This will not change anytime soon.

And yes, playback is superb.

Happy Listening!

AYRE Does NOT have Lasers available for the DX-5. This has been the case for many years now. Michael at Ayre who I have talked to MANY times in the past 4-5 years not only confirmed this BUT told me where I needed to go to find spare parts...which unfortunately is cheap chinese junk. Stop putting out inaccurate information.
Relevant thread here from Ayre's Ryan Berry. Sounds like Ayre no longer has a supply of laser assemblies for the C-5 but *does* have them for the DX-5.

That thread is almost 2 years old. He also says the TRANSPORT Mechanism (Not the laser assembly) WAS available then...22 months ago. (When OPPO was still in business....have since closed)

Feel free to call and get updated info. You will have to buy an OPPO 83 that is working and have them swap the parts in

Both the audio and video are superb with my Ayre DX-5 DSD, better than my Oppo 205.  The video especially surprised me.