Vinyl “Pops & Clicks” eliminators

I’m betting a polarizing topic, but I ask the question as a truly curious audiophile who has just not honestly had the opportunity to do any real research on this category of products....so, am not asking as either a proponent nor opponent of this technology.   So, a few obvious items: (1) it’s best to work with clean, unblemished LP’s (for multiple reasons) and (2) obviously a product designed to “remove” an audible defect is also going to affect the audible spectrum; but in what ways, exactly, both desirable and undesirable do these devices affect the music?

I’m talking specifically about devices like the Sweetvinyl Sugarcube SC-1, but I’ve literally done zero research so far on how many devices like this even exist.   The “Sweetvinyl” box comes to mind only because I see their ad in TAS mag, but I don’t know if there are other companies with similar products.   
Question is....we all have LPs in our collection that we acquired and for whatever reason were not kept “clean” and have scratches resulting in audible pops/clicks.   Are these devices — essentially selective filters — selective enough to do their job on imperfect records without destroying the surrounding harmonics?    Or do we just discard & reacquire any scratched records we own?   Or is this a “better” solution?

I’m gonna guess that literally 10% maximum of the Agon’ers who reply here have ever owned/heard these products used, so maybe let’s all just mention whether our opinion, our response, is based on real-life observations, or just theoretical replies.    Both have value, but for different reasons.

Best,
Jim
jhajeski
OP - I  recently upgraded my phono amplifier from a 25+ old modest design to a Luxman E-250.  Besides a much more musically satisfying sound, the Luxman's greater dynamic headroom tends to minimize surface noise compared to what I had before.  I expected excellent music but the surface noise reduction is an unexpected benefit from a design with a much more robust power supply.

I don't know what phono amp. you have but an upgrade there could get you a lot of what you want without sonic compromise.
Post removed 
—hifiman5
I’m actually in really good shape Phono preamp-wise, I own 3, of which I currently use the newest/best, a Herron VTPH-2A (not even broken in) also own a Parasound JC3 Jr. (barely broken in), and a Vincent PHO-8.   (Anyone need a slightly used phono preamp?)

—elizabeth
You’re right...I can probably identify maybe a dozen or dozen-and-a-half albums that have scratches annoying enough to need “correction”.   I’m sure it’d be most economical (and sensible) to replace them.   And I DO own a decent record cleaner vac (love my Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi Mk2).   I guess it’s just intellectual curiosity that makes me ask the question.  Just interested in learning more about the technology/product(s), and asking if anyone might be familiar.    Just one of those things I see regularly (ad-wise) but know nothing about.    

Thanks,
Jim