Help me build a $2,500 system

So, as a budget Audiophiliac, I’m looking to take the next step up the stairs. My budget is $2,500 but I’m thinking I will keep two of my current set up’s pieces, unless swayed otherwise, my Onkyo C-7030 CD player and Musical Fidelity V-90 DAC. 

I’m not opposed to completely restored vintage stuff or brand new. I just want the absolute best sounding set up I can have. 

My room is open to the rest of the downstairs and is roughly 15X15. 

I listen to mostly rock at low to medium volumes. I’m a stickler for well produced stuff and stream lossless as well as listen to well recorded CD’s and will choose my vinyl carefully as well. 

I’m looking for:

Amp/Receiver

Turntable (leaning hard to Pro-Ject Debut)

Speakers (prefer floors)

Cables

So, go to it and give me your best suggestions!  I greatly appreciate all input and opinions. 

Thanks all. 😊

34dean
 "Speakers have the greatest impact on sound" from a previous post.
Sorry have to disagree with this. I sold hi end audio for 15 yrs. and we used to do demonstration after demonstration on how source, then electronics could and did make a huge difference in a pair of budget bookshelf speakers.  Sometimes the stands were more expensive than the speakers.

When staring out, source, electronics then speakers is where I would go.
And start with basic cables. Then you have a reference point.

Then when settled in you can try different things like cables, wire, or gear.

I use this way in evaluating gear in my system.
Lets say I am trying a new preamp. 3 possible outcomes.

1) it sounds better
2) it sounds about the same
3) it sounds worse.

Keeps it simple.

i have been doing a lot of research for my own budget system, and here are some thoughts on what you could do for $2500

Cambridge Audio CXA60 Integrated Amp - 60W per channel, built-in Phono Stage, built in DAC with coax and optical digital inputs, Preamp Out (for adding upgraded amp later) $750

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2EX monitor speakers - RAAL ribbon tweeter, SEAS 6” woofer, 33hz - 27khz. all bamboo enclosure. 7 year warranty. $1500

U Turn Orbit custom - belt drive, acrylic platter, ortofon OM5E cartridge, choice of color $289

Blue Jeans Belden 10AWG white speaker cable with choice of connector  2x10 ft strands $45

$2584

The above post is a great set-up.  I’d even go used on the speakers and get the cxa-80
For $2500 I would go used everything. Keep your CD and DAC for now and spend $1500-2000 on a good amp with a separate preamp. You will have a lot to choose from. My preference would be for a tubed preamp and a SS amp. Don’t skimp here.

Then spend a few hundred on cables and interconnects. Used or DIY. Forget about the TT for now.

And now my wild card.......For speakers look on Craiglist and get a vintage pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10’s if you like to occasionally crank it up. Monitor 7’s would be better for low listening levels but they are not as easy to find. With a little patience that should cost $110-150. You will probably need to upgrade the crossovers with the rest of the money but when you do you will have a system that will put a smile on everyone’s face. It should hold you for a while.

Later when you decide to upgrade (and you will eventually no matter what you start with) sell the speakers for what you paid for them and spend big bucks on speakers.  Then work on your TT.