Amps - New vs. Used

Looking to upgrade amplification from my AVR + a 2 channel outboard running the mains. I also have a powered sub, Hsu ULS15.

Am I better off to get a 'higher quality' used setup (be it a 7 channel or combination of multiple amps), or buy new amps?

I'm wondering about the changes in designs, performance, reliability that may have occured in the last decade or so. I have no problem buying good used equipment, I like to get the most bang-for-buck, obviously, and used has the potential to increase that quotient.

I don't have a set budget, I prefer to wait a little longer if necessary to get what I'll really want, but lets' keep it in the $2-3K range. EBay always seems to have options that seem good in the sub $2K range.

Room is a 12X19X8 rectangle, my 125wpc Yamaha struggles when I wind up my low-efficiency speakers, (86db?) but the newly added sub helps. There is a speaker upgrade in the future too. Which brings up a part-2 to the question, should I upgrade my mains first, then worry about amps?

Thanks
english210
English210,

If you have the $$$ and you want complete peace of mind, by all means get new gear. If you are a bang for the buck kind of guy like I am, get the best used amp you can afford. I have purchased a total of 21 amplifiers in the last 5+ years and only spent about $500.00 in repairs and that is repairs on only 4 of the 22 amps. All other amps performed like new. Needless to say the "failure" rate of my used amp purchases is a little over 18% and what I mean by "failure" is a couple of solder repairs, RCA connection repair, and one channel on one amp with blown output transistors.

On this site alone there are plenty of high quality used amps for sale under your 3K threshold.

Bill
You can save quite a bit going the used route and amps are pretty safe as long as they are not so old that the caps need replacing. Your Yamaha is running out of gas since all the channels are getting loaded down. B&K would be your first step up. You can buy them in 2ch or mutlti ch. They all use the same topology. Next step might be a McCormack DNA. Again you can buy individule or multi channel depending on your budget. I would stick with all the same brand amps and speakers if possible.
I think a used amp is a good value; maybe less than 10 years old and you probably would not need any repairs.
Audiogon is much better than Ebay to buy an amp. Buying electronics on Ebay is a gamble; never know how many times the item has been flipped.
First I would look for a high quality amp that you may really want, new or used. At times you may be able to find new or demo amps at tremendous savings. Full warranty and no hidden issues. I would not assume used to always be the most cost effective.

Once you have cast your net, should you not have any luck for new. Then go with the best high quality used amp in your opinion. Keep in mind the old saying. "The Quality is Remembered long after the Price is forgotten."

I would go for new speakers only when you begin to "hear what you are not hearing" in your current speakers.