My “Dream” system needs a preamp

Ok, this is a recent decision to build a two channel Dream system. Im leaning towards Magnapan 1.7i’s, a Denon DP59L and possibly a Krell type KSA250 solidstate class A........

i really liked a few preamps in the past from GoldenTube, AudibleIllusions, CounterPoint.....but its been years. My guess all these would fetch $2.5K or below on the used market, so align new gear suggestions at this price, my guess an outboard mm/mc preamp

your thoughts to my analog dream
kgveteran
At this price point I almost went with the Don Sachs preamp but chose the Audio by Van Alstine Fet Valve CFR for its relay-switched inputs. That and I feel you take a larger gamble at getting future service with those one-man operations.

That was quite a review ! More helpful reading

+1 on the Don Sachs preamp. I have been running one for about 6 months now and it is phenomenal. Great detail, PRAT with a deep and wide sound-stage along with everything you want from a great tube component. Don is busy and I would not expect to see him close up shop any time soon. And say 20 years from now when you want to have it serviced, if Don has retired, his circuitry is well laid out and any good tech, with tube gear experience should be more than capable of bringing it back to spec for another 20 or 30 years of service.
Hi tinear123

I saw your post from September of last year stating you switched from the PS Audio BHK pre and replaced it with a Supratek Cabernet. I am considering doing that exact same thing. I've had the BHK pre for almost 2 years now and after changing the factory tubes to a pair of nos 60's Telefunken 12au7's I couldn't believe how much better it got. I've been very happy with the BHK but can't help thinking it's the weak link in my system. The more I read about these Supratek preamps the more intrigued I get. I wish there was a dealer in my area so I could put it in my system and hear it for myself. I understand he only sells them factory direct to keep the cost so affordable which I can appreciate but makes it a little more difficult in deciding.

If you could tell us what other equipment you use it with in your system  that would be very helpful. If you could take some time to answer a few questions I would really appreciate it.

1. Did you use the factory tubes in your BHK?

2. What do you feel are some of the differences between the Supratek Cabernet and the BHK pre.

3. Did you hear one before you bought yours or just bought it based on what you read?

4. Which Vabernet did you get, the 6sn7 or the DHT?

I learned  a long time ago (the hard way) that just because it's more expensive doesn't guarantee that it's better.  Any opinions you can give me would be very helpful and greatly appreciated. 

Best,
Scot

Hi kgveteran,

Don't mean to avoid your question on this thread. I noticed your dream system consists of a pair of Magnapan 1.7i's. First let me say that I think Magnapan is a great company who makes wonderful speakers. In the past I've owned and really enjoyed their 3.7i's, fantastic speakers. I now own the Eminent Technology LFT8B's and in my opinion are better than the 3.7i's! They are around the same amount of money as the 1.7i's ($2200.00 vs $2500.00) I would buy the LFT8B's in a heart beat. I can honestly say, after owning both the 3.7i's and the LFT8B's it's no contest. I feel that the LFT8B's are, dollar for dollar, the absolute best value in ALL of high end audio, not just speakers! In the $2500.00 price range I have never heard a speaker that can provide this level of quality. They need and amp with a good power supply that can provide enough high current to the panels (just like the Maggie's) which the Krell you want should have no problem providing. Once they are setup properly, they are simply amazing. Before you buy the Maggie's I would strongly recommend listening to the Eminent Technology LFT8B's. 

Your question regarding the preamp was not 100% clear to me. I think you're asking for new preamps suggestions in the $2500.00 price range. 

The names that seem to keep coming up as great choices in a tube preamp in that price range are DeHavilland, Arci, Don Sachs and Supratek. The Don Sachs and the Supratek are the two I would look into. They are supposed to be really good sounding and very reliable for the money. Good luck.