My 1st Tube Equipment Experience

I just purchased a used Herron Audio VTSP-3A(r02) tube preamp, as a replacement for a NAD M12.  I paired the M12 with a NAD M22 v2.  My first impressions are the M12 has more detail, the VTSP is much warmer, which is what I wanted.  The VTSP sound is definitely different.  And while it lacks the M12 detail, I do like it.  

With the M12, my speakers were dead silent when music was not playing.  With the VTSP, I hear a slight hiss when I put my ear very near a speaker.  With the M12, I used XLR from the M12 to the M22; XLR from my Parasound JC3 jr; and RCA from my Liberty DAC.  With the VTSP, everything now is RCA.

Is a little hiss common when using a tube preamp and SS power amp with RCA cables?
128x128oldschool1948
A quick follow-up after a half-day of listening to music with the Tubadour DAC in my system.  I get the best SQ with the Herron pre-amp gain set to Hi and the NAD pwr amp gain set to Lo.  (With the Liberty, the Herron was set to Lo and the NAD to Mid.)  

I've also noticed a larger difference in sound volume when I switch between my analog and digital sources (Analog: Technics SL-1200G w/ Ortofon Quintet Black/Parasound JC3 Jr; Digital: Innous Zenith MKII/ sonicTransporter with Roon DSP/Tubadour DAC.)  In summary, at the same volume setting, when I switch between inputs, the digital music is noticeably louder.  With the Liberty DAC, the music was also louder, but there was much less of a difference.

I was thinking of adding an Ortofon ST-7 SUT to get more analog gain, or buying a better phone pre.  Thoughts anyone?

It's normal enough to have louder digital. As long as your vinyl sounds good, don't get hung up on the difference. 
@noromance  That's good food for thought.  I have to increase the volume, but the vinyl sounds awesome.
you're welcome. i certainly wouldn’t worry about two different sources being at a matched volume. it’s cool for A/B-ing, but thats about it. more importantly is how is the sound? the vtph-2a will take your vinyl experience to another level.....
It's normal enough to have louder digital. As long as your vinyl sounds good, don't get hung up on the difference.
+1 really good advice!