Separate subs for music and HT/surround

My stereo setup is comprised of Ayre 5/20 series digital hub, preamp and amp that drive KEF Ref 1s through a passive Marchand high-pass filter. For HT and surround, LR side and rear surround from an SP3 go to NAD Class D amps that drive LS50s. The SP3 receives HDMI from an Ayre DX-5 DSD, and its front LR output goes to a balanced by-pass input of the KX-5/20. I have two Velodyne SMS-1 bass managers that provide acoustic room correction, two HGS-10 subs, and two HGS-15 subs.

Question: Should I use one SMS-1 with the two HGS-10s for stereo and the other SMS-1 with the two HGS-15s for HT and surround music? I realize there are advocates for using 4 subs, and I could daisy-chain the SMS-1s, but separating the SMS-1s seems a neat way to keep stereo separate from HT.

db
Ag insider logo xs@2xdbphd
Don't forget to printout that Outlaw manual from the Velodyne site I posted above. Its a different format with some useful tips which might be of help. 
dbphd: "The four subs, 2 Velodyne HGS-10s and 2 HGS-15s, are installed and the SMS-1s daisy-chained, although I’ll need some help in relocating each HGS-15s from a corner to behind the Ref 1s. I did an initial set up of the SMS-1s, but it will need to be redone when the subs are moved into place. I need to read the manual carefully, because there are subtle parametric adjustments I do not yet fully understand. One notable change with the additional subs is the elimination of the mild roll-off from 20 and 15 Hz. A first listen suggests the four sub array might sound superb."

Hello DB,

I know we previously discussed the optimum sub positioning and configuration of the four subs in a custom 4-sub distributed bass array (DBA) system but I think a few important points bear repeating.
For optimum performance when positioning the 4 subs in a DBA system each sub is run in mono mode and positioned sequentially in the room position that the bass sounds best to you (most accurate, detailed and natural). It’s best not to place subs in positions that are the most convenient or positions that you suspect the subs may sound best. The optimum results will be attained by just trusting the proven procedure of systematically and sequentially positioning each sub in the precise position the bass sounds best to you. You’ll also avoid the need to position any single sub more than once.
A properly positioned 4-sub DBA system requires zero room correction but, if you insist on using it, it won’t have any negative effects as long as you wait to run it until after all four subs have been optimally positioned in the room utilizing the very effective "Crawl Method".

Best wishes,
Tim

For the two HGS-15s I think I'll start with Velodyne recommendation to place each next to a front LR speaker.  Each HGS-15 weighs 95 pounds, and I use Auralex SubDudes under them so sliding on the carpet is not easy.  I can lift the HGS-10s.  Right now, the big subs are in the corners and the small ones are next to the speakers.

In rereading the SMS-1 manual I realized I missed a step in daisy-chaining the units:  The slave unit should be set up independently first, then daisy-chained to the master unit and a full equalization performed of the combined acoustic output of the four subs.  I had not set up the slave unit.  Eventually I'll get it right.

I discovered the lack of slam I thought might be endemic to smaller speakers like the KEF Ref 1 is an artifact of some problem between the Bryston SP3 and Ayre KX-5/20 when playing Blu-rays.  Large orchestrations sent by Roon to the QX-5/20 digital hub have satisfying slam, but I've been using Roon for chamber and jazz music.  I'll explore the Blu-ray link when I install a Sanus rack next week that will make access to the rear of the components much easier.

db
Hello DB,

For best results, I seriously suggest you ignore Velodyne's recommendation of placing one HSG-15 near each main speaker and instead just position them where they sound best using the crawl method.  They're probably catering to users who don't understand stereo deep bass is a myth with almost all music source material below about 80 Hz actually recorded as summed L+ R mono bass.  It's best, therefore, to just run all subs in mono and position each where they'll sound best sequentially which will also be the same positions the four will sound best playing in unison as a whole DBA system. 
     To prevent moving the 2 HSG-15 heavy subs more than once, you could place one of the 10s at your listening seat, use the crawl method to determine the optimum position of the first two subs likely along your front wall and place the two HSG-15s at both of those positions instead of the HSG-10s. Then use the crawl method to optimally locate the remaining 2 HSG-10s as normal, which could be anywhere along the side walls or long the rear wall.   This will result in the optimum bass response in your room for both 2-ch music and HT.
     You can properly set up the master and slaves in the proper order  and equalize them after the optimum positions are established.

Tim
I just recently realized for music (in stereo) i have to dial back my subs to -12db, for movies i go back to -4.5b where Audyssey put it. I leave Audyssey engaged and DynamicEq on also, for my low level music its works
the two surround modes (Denon X4300), dts and Dolby both stink for surround music, I miss Prologic II.......
my subs are on either side walls 1/3rd into the room from the front screen wall, my LP is 1/4 into the room from the back wall, no EQ needed, it was all about the level. 
I have a rolling 600lb door that seals off the room for late nite watching, but I prefer the door open for music.........