Advice on SUT for Koetsu Rosewood - EAR MC-4, Slagle/EMIA, other

I recently tried a friend's Sound Traditions Hashimoto hm7 transformer-based sut and overall the sound was substantially more Dynamic and alive and generally better than my current Berning preamp MC section. The problem was the images were just so large and the presentation a little too forward for my tastes. I am thinking a different Sut such as the EAR MC- 4 or an Intact Audio (Slagle) Step Up Transformer, copper.

Has anyone used these Sut's and could advise about whether they might do what I'm looking for? I'm hoping to add more dynamics and life but I do prefer a slightly laid-back presentation to a forward one and I don't want giant instruments in the soundstage. I listen to mostly old Jazz and Blues with some rock and classical mixed in. I am not looking for the last word in in treble detail or "air" and my biggest sonic priorities are organic , rich mids, good sounstaging, and a realistic tonal balance that does not accentuate the top end as so many components seem to do (IMHO). So I guess I am looking for a sut with a reputation for musicality and richness, without javing a forward sound. But I would love somethng as amazing sounding as the Hashimoto HM-7 based SUT.

My system is a Koetsu Rosewood Signature (.4mv), Jelco 850M on a Sota Star Sapphire, Berning all-tube bespoke capacitance coupled preamp (46 dB gain on the MM stage, Jensen transformers on the moving coil stage), Quicksilver v4 monos, Verity Audio Pafisals.

Thanks for any thoughts.

montaldo
Ralph, I will ask Dave Slagle what he thinks about my setup and loading. The original sound tradition Hashimoto hm-7 I tried had an even higher winding ratio such as 1:30 I think. It sounded pretty amazing with 29dB gain. But it was a little too big and "in my face." This will be 26 dB on top of 46 dB of my linestage, which seems reasonable.

As fas the loading issues I still don't understand all those variables so I will continue to listen to you guys and talk to Dave Slagle as well.
@montaldo I have a diy SUT with Jensen AT 347 trannies.  These can be wired for 8:1, 12:1 and 24:1 gain.  I run a Dynavector XVT-1s at 24:1 into the MM of a Zesto Andros 1.2 phono pre.  You might want to ask Berning if your trannies can be rewired to 12:1 which should be enough of your cart's output..  That being said, not sure what is the MM gain of your unit.  If you go to the Jensen site, you can see the schematics for the three different gains.  The loading will not have that much impact on gain but it definitely helps to experiment as it relates to the sonics.  I used the zobel circuit that Jensen recommends for the 347 at the gain used.
Barolobrain: Firat of all you may need to explain your username to me (expiring minds want to know).
Second,  I did not realize these Jensen Transformers had optional configurations. If I could have mine required to 1:12 or 1:24 that would be interesting to try. Is the procedure difficult or could any tech do it, with insrtructions from Jensen?
Name came from a big night out when I lived in London and we were drinking Barolo wine.  As long as the leads have not been cut too short it can be done.  How easily is something you'll have to determine.  Go to their web page and there are three docs, one each for 8:1, 12:1 and 24:1 ratios.  There is also a doc for the zobel networks, dependent upon single ended or balanced configuration, step up ratio and internal impedance of cart to be used.  I don't remember if that doc is on the website.  Good luck.
Hang on guys, some transformers have multiple taps and others do not. You have to check on the wires coming out of the transformer. Most are color coded. While having multiple taps gives you flexibility. I think but I am not entirely sure that a single ratio transformer is theoretically better. Ralph may be able to comment on this. Sowter has multiple tap transformers but I have always avoided them. May be just a knee jerk assumption. My brain hates unused wires.