An enjoyable evening watching "Country Music Live At The Ryman" on AZ PBS.

Last night, the wife and I had a most enjoyable evening, gratis our comfy couch and AV system, watching a AZ PBS broadcast of "Country Music Live AT The Ryman" 

A wonderful tribute to the history of Country Music and the many artists, writers  and producers who helped pave its way. It was hosted by producer Ken Burns with tribute performances of the music of such iconic legends as Hank Williams. Johny Cash, Maybelle Carter and many others, performances by Vince Gill, Rodney Crowell, Kathy Matea, Marty Stewart, Dwight Yoakam, Holly Williams and other noted artists.
It was both educational and entertaining and inspired me to dig out some of my old favorite Country LPs and CDs and spend the night enjoying some almost forgotten, wonderful tunes. 

Whether or not Country Music is among one's favorite genres, it definitely has deep roots in America's musical landscape.
For those who haven't had a chance to enjoy this great broadcast, check your local PBS for possible re-broadcasts and follow up additions of the history and artists of American Country Music, as well as specials on the many other genre of music. 

Jim

jhills
Damn, another show on TV I missed. I gotta start payin' attention! I just checked out of my library the first season of "Nashville" on DVD, which I missed as well. I hear Buddy Miller and some other greats are on it.
@schubert  I know in the pasty PBS American Masters did segments on Copland, Gershwin, Andrew Loyd Webber and others, so may be something coming up.

Over the past couple of years we saw specials on Andrew Loyd Webber, Katherine Jenkins, Leonard Cohen and wife's favorites, Celtic Thunder and Celtic Woman. All were very good.

If I see something on American Classical composers coming up, I'll drop a post...........Jim

If the band’s drummer looks familiar, it’s 'cause he’s Chad Cromwell, Neil Young’s drummer for his Prairie Wind show, also taped at The Ryman. I would have preferred they had Harry Stinson (the drummer/singer in Marty Stuart’s band The Fabulous Superlatives), imo a much better player. It was great seeing and hearing Marty in the Show. Quite a mandolin player, ay? He turned pro at the age of 13, being offered a job in Lester Flatt’s road band. 13! Marty owns the Fender Telecaster Clarence White played in The Byrds, and Hank Williams’ Martin acoustic.

This was a pretty good show, lots of excellent artists, There were some major practitioners of the music missing (no Emmylou Harris?!), and why did they have Kathy Mattea, a mediocre singer, doing a Loretta Lynn song instead of Loretta herself? Loretta’s still alive and well, her last two albums having been produced by Jack White.

I love Burns’ documentaries on The Civil War and Mark Twain, and am really looking forward to this one. The reason he did a documentary on Country music and not Classical is because Country is an American art form, Classical a European one. The Civil War, Mark Twain, Baseball, Jazz, Country music. Get it? Burns specializes in U.S. History. I thought everyone knew that ;-) .