Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Post removed 
Moving to Norway where summer days are longer...

Norwegian jazz saxophonist
~Jan Garbarek (age 72)

Jazz composer and theorist George Russell, described Jan as “the most original voice in European jazz since Django Reinhardt”.

The Guardian:
"ECM's founder, Manfred Eicher, used Garbarek to establish the cliche of Nordic jazz being icily exotic and romantically gloomy, using tons of reverb and echo to suggest that Garbarek was playing up against a Norwegian fjord. In fact, on 1976's Dis, Eicher did actually record him playing against a Norwegian fjord – you can hear Garbarek blowing into a wind harp as the North Sea laps in the background."

~~~☆~~~

Jan Garbarek - "Hasta Siempre"
https://youtu.be/T5KYZ2F9IRs

Jan Garbarek - "Brother Wind March"
https://youtu.be/Mjgr9UJuODM

Jan Garbarek has said that he seeks to make his playing “fit the tone, texture and temperament of the music. It’s about finding a common language.”
mary jo, 

Thanks for posting the Jan Garbarek links.

It was nice to wake up today, get a cup of coffee, open up the laptop and listen to those two wonderful songs. Brilliant paying by the band as a whole and Garbarek is, for lack of a better description, awesome on the sax!
rok,

I like Gospel music by a large chorus. There is a Gospel church within walking distance of my house and I often go there to hear the music.
orpheus10 & frogman I would like  to Clarify my position on gato Barbieri.  I did like his work with Don Cherry on the two blue note albums from the 60s. I have a later 60s album with Gato in a trio which is totally avant-garde and I don't like.That speak low cut posted by O10  could have been recorded by CTI heavy on the orchestration light on the improvisation. I think he made his stylistic turn with the soundtrack he did for Last Tango in Paris  and never looked  back. I don't think he ever topped it . I did like some of the impulse label  things he did  but I no longer own them. The rest of it you can keep
Here's another standard recorded by gato and the complete albumhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wQgSft3pf8