Is integrated the future for 2 channel audiophiles?

More and more integrated hitting the shelves. Although, there are plenty of dedicated preamps, I have just noticed lots of increased discussions over the past 2 years for integrated amps. 

In general, consumers are downsizing. Baby boomers retiring and going to smaller homes. Millennials and gen z prefer smaller homes as well ( in general - there are always exceptions). 

I think the turntable trendiness has leveled off ( there will always be vinyl fans...I’m talking about the people purchasing because it’s trendy). 

The masses probably favor a/v receivers. However, it seems integrated amp choices has increased quite a bit for 2 channel fans. 

Thoughts?
aberyclark
I just don't think you can get it all in one box and come out with the sound quality, at least what I am looking for from my system.
I think it’s kinda natural to make progressions. Like, most start out with AVRs because that’s what Best Buy sells and that’s what they can afford when starting out, and many probably go through a couple over several years. 

Then when ready to move move beyond that, an integrated is logical next step. That’s where I am now. Eventually I suspect next system in 15 yrs will be separates, probably tube. Then my final system 15 yrs after that will probably be back to integrated. Then 15 yrs later I’ll probably be dead ...
My 50 WPC Arcam integrated doesn't have quite enough grunt to properly play my new Revels. I am now looking for a used 100 to 125 WPC power amp, using the Arcam for a preamp. I tried to simplify, but back to separates, kind of.
I bought my first integrated amp in about 1984, an HK PM645vxi. It still sells for about what I paid for it (or more) on Ebay, and I still use mine for a bedroom system.  

I've never had a separate preamp or power amp. However, lately I do have separate components to support digital network streaming. These "separates" can include not only hardware (a streamer, computer/server, router, etc.) but also software (Roon, Audirvana, HQPlayer). HQPlayer allows myriad tweaks to the process without ever having to swap out hardware (unless you feel a need to change out a supporting NAA).

I love the concept of the Field Programmable Gate Array as an alternative to being locked into an unchanging, hard-wired DAC processor (like the ESS Sabre Chip in my Peachtree Nova).  I wish an FPGA were available in an integrated amp, but AFAIK, it is only available in separate components such as the PS Audio DirectStream DACs. Maybe the day is coming (if not already here) when "integrated" encompasses software/firmware components that more-or-less "future proof" the hardware ... up to a point.  Otherwise, rapidly-changing technologies tend to have the opposite effect, by driving continuous demand for the latest/greatest innovations, in contrast to my Harmon Kardon vintage 1984 amp that just keeps running and running.
Been there done that many times over the last 40+ years. I’ve always went back to separates. Integrated amps have been getting better but you also have many limitations with them. Lately for me it’s been the power. I was happy with my Hegel H300 until I purchased larger Usher speakers. Went separates. Went with a new McIntosh preamp with a built in 2 phono preamps and dac. Just sold my Hanss T-60 turntable last week and now selling all my vinyl. Never used the McIntosh dac because I have the superior PS Audio DS dac. In the coming weeks, I’ll be looking to see if I can get rid of the McIntosh preamp and run the amp straight from the dac. So yes, there are ways to consolidate but take different routes to do this. I do use a few integrated amps in other parts of the house.