My 1st Tube Equipment Experience

I just purchased a used Herron Audio VTSP-3A(r02) tube preamp, as a replacement for a NAD M12.  I paired the M12 with a NAD M22 v2.  My first impressions are the M12 has more detail, the VTSP is much warmer, which is what I wanted.  The VTSP sound is definitely different.  And while it lacks the M12 detail, I do like it.  

With the M12, my speakers were dead silent when music was not playing.  With the VTSP, I hear a slight hiss when I put my ear very near a speaker.  With the M12, I used XLR from the M12 to the M22; XLR from my Parasound JC3 jr; and RCA from my Liberty DAC.  With the VTSP, everything now is RCA.

Is a little hiss common when using a tube preamp and SS power amp with RCA cables?
128x128oldschool1948
My preference is a tubed NOS R2R dac, very analog sounding. 
I have been very pleased with my Audio Mirror Tubadour III. Sound wise it comes pretty darn close to my analog - VPI, dynavector, Herron audio vtph-2a. 
The Tubadour III looks interesting, the Tubadour Signature edition even more so.  Audio Mirror's trial period makes this even more interesting. 

@jmolsberg   Thanks for the suggestion.

@atmasphere I'm also wondering how much better a Herron VTPH-2H would sound than my Parasound JC3 junior :)
Couldn't tell you as I've not heard them but I can tell you I prefer tubes especially in preamps. You need them to get things right at the front end of the system; no amount of the best amps and speakers can bring back missing elements in the signal if the preamp doesn't do its job.