My 1st Tube Equipment Experience

I just purchased a used Herron Audio VTSP-3A(r02) tube preamp, as a replacement for a NAD M12.  I paired the M12 with a NAD M22 v2.  My first impressions are the M12 has more detail, the VTSP is much warmer, which is what I wanted.  The VTSP sound is definitely different.  And while it lacks the M12 detail, I do like it.  

With the M12, my speakers were dead silent when music was not playing.  With the VTSP, I hear a slight hiss when I put my ear very near a speaker.  With the M12, I used XLR from the M12 to the M22; XLR from my Parasound JC3 jr; and RCA from my Liberty DAC.  With the VTSP, everything now is RCA.

Is a little hiss common when using a tube preamp and SS power amp with RCA cables?
128x128oldschool1948
I've finally found my sweet spot with the Herron and NAD settings.  The Herron gain is set to low; the NAD M22 v2 gain is set to mid.  Now I understand why many here have recommended a tube preamp and SS poweramp.  I'm quite happy with the Herron/NAD combination.

I also re-positioned my speakers.  I have a small 11x12 listening room.  I placed the Tannoy's 36" from the back and side walls, and toed them in about 3/4 of an inch.  My two listening chars are a little more than equidistant between the speakers.  No more glare and I can listen for hours with no music fatigue.  I'm finally enjoying digital music as much as analog. 

Now I'm wondering what a better DAC would do.  I have a Mytek Liberty, which sounds pretty good with my current setup.  My planning budget is ~ $2.5K.  Suggestions anyone?
My preference is a tubed NOS R2R dac, very analog sounding. 
I have been very pleased with my Audio Mirror Tubadour III. Sound wise it comes pretty darn close to my analog - VPI, dynavector, Herron audio vtph-2a. 
The Tubadour III looks interesting, the Tubadour Signature edition even more so.  Audio Mirror's trial period makes this even more interesting. 

@jmolsberg   Thanks for the suggestion.

@atmasphere I'm also wondering how much better a Herron VTPH-2H would sound than my Parasound JC3 junior :)