Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
orpheus10 I was more confused that the mayor liked "Salt Song" better then the live album which was originally released by CTI as a double LP in 1973 and reissued as volumes one and two on CD numerous times.

I have both live sets(on 2 Japanese RM - RE) releases and I think the music is fantastic. Here is the personnel on the recordings.

Freddie Hubbard trumpet

Stanley Turrentine tenor sax

Herbie Hancock piano

Eric Gale guitar

Ron Carter bass

Eric De Johnette drums

You have already listed the personnel on Salt Song which is very extensive compered to the 6 man lineup on the live set.
Here are reviews I found for both the live album and Salt Song:

Live Album:

Scott Yanow of Allmusic stated "This LP pairs trumpeter Freddie Hubbard and tenor-saxophonist Stanley Turrentine, two very individual players who always brought out the best in each other. They stretch out on long versions of "Povo" and "Gibraltar" that clock in around 19 minutes apiece. The backup rhythm section (guitarist Eric Gale, keyboardist Herbie Hancock, bassist Ron Carter, and drummer Jack DeJohnette) is a major asset and inspires the two horns to play reasonably creative solos."

Syd Fablo of Rock Salted wrote "A really, really good — if strangely overlooked — live jazz fusion album, comparable to Cannonball Adderley‘s The Black Messiah and Donald Byrd‘s Ethiopian Knights, which is to say this is not formally or stylistically innovative but everybody involved delivers superb performances with a focus on warmth and heart. There also is an equally good Volume Two, on which Herbie Hancock shares top billing — strangely, because he plays on both volumes, but also not so strangely given the commonalities this music shares with his own Mwandishi group. As fusion was starting to drift into bland mediocrity, this is something else entirely, a vibrant, energetic and likable rock-inflected electric jazz performance that sidesteps the sort of pandering that usually goes hand-in-hand with fusion from this point onward. There are overt signs of structure, and efforts to make the performances sound proper and professional, but there is always a hint of something unruly and dangerous lurking behind every note. It is that sense of double meaning that makes this more than just a funky good time (which it also is)."[3]

Salt Song:

The Allmusic review by Steve Huey awarded the album 4 stars and states "it’s another fine, eclectic outing that falls squarely into the signature CTI fusion sound: smooth but not slick, accessible but not simplistic... All in all, Salt Song has dated well, partly because the arrangements don’t overemphasize electric piano, but mostly on the strength of Turrentine’s always-soulful playing".[2]

I agree with the two reviews of the live album, because owning it, I have listened to it to many times to count.

"Salt Song" gets 4 stars but I do not have that album so I cannot compliment on it. Suffice to say if Orpheus10 says its a good album I will listen to all of the songs on it via You Tube and decide for myself.

BTW, I am a big fan of Turrentine and own 24 of his recording sessions on CD including "Sugar" which I believe Creed Taylor (CTI) put together. "Sugar" is definitely a 5 star session, IMHO.

Stanley Turrentine’s 1961 live album, "Up At Mintons," which I also have is better then the 1973 live album. 5 stars IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDonxQFq4Wc&list=PL0q2VleZJVEkbfxJPz_ZDfXTBoyfxOgnO

I have both volumes of this as well. Grant Green really shines on them.
Wow page 339 went by fast. I missed a lot of posts.

mary jo Frank Zappa is not for everyone. Mingus' music, as well as Zappa's also requires an "acquired taste" I'm happy you like Gene Ammons' "Angel Eyes" Beautiful song and album. 

nsp Don't be so harsh on Jimmy Page!  Hell is a little harsh. I would say musicians purgatory.

For decades, one of my favorite "unknown" recordings has been Yusef Lateef's "Live at Pep's."  Lateef (like many) doesn't get the credit he deserves as a jazz legend.

Just finished listening and wanted to share.

This particular recording aside, I've admired Lateef since I was a young buck.  An amazing musician who explored the globe in order to immerse himself in vastly different musical cultures, then infuse them into his native jazz.  He hasn't simply enriched my musical world - he instilled a desire to explore all aspects of other cultures (not just music) and seek beauty in things unfamiliar.