Salk Audio Sound

Looking ( still ) for new speakers to replace old Spendors ( with a Leben tube amplifier).  Had narrowed my search to Devore Super 9, Proac D30R, Sonist Concerto 4 when the itch to save some money cropped up ( two tuitions due this week).  Have been hearing about Salk.  Some have denigrated as "hifi"- ish; whatever that means.  Seems like a great value and certainly has his following. Unfortunately, can't find them to hear for myself. So are the Salk speakers on par with the other possibilities above?

mpomerantz
No question.

Different flavors to choose from depending on what you are looking for.  You may have to wait a little bit, but the work and value is outstanding.

Salk Sound speakers are very good, and Jim Salk is a great guy. I don't know where you're located, but you can sometimes find him at audio shows. He's been at RMAF and the California Audio Show, based on my memory.
Most of Salk's speakers are pretty neutral but the one's with the RAAL tweeter will sound like they have extra air because of the excessively wide horizontal dispersion of the RAAL tweeter.
I went to the Scottsdale Speakerfest earlier this summer, and heard one of their medium floorstanders with a beryllium dome tweeter and I was very impressed. The speaker in was very good, not the best I've ever heard, and in total wasn't the equal of the ATCs that were playing in the same room, (nor were they as expensive) but they were good, and that tweeter was superior; very open detailed and crystal clear. 
There are always multiple Salk speakers for sale used on Audio Circle as owners move up the line.  Probably your best bet to find out if they are for you as the original owner is going to take the hit and  you could sell them for little loss if not for you.  As to whether they will work with the Leben you need to call Jim and talk to him.