VM540ML cartridge - what phono preamp is a good match

I recently upgraded to a Rega Planar 3 turntable, and put a Audio-Technica VM540ML cartridge on it, based on reviews and user comments here and on other sites.  The problem is that loud passages with massed strings and/or brass seem to get strident, overly bright and distorted.  That comes up frequently, since I listen to a lot of classical music.

Well, I found that this cartridge is spec'd for 47k Ohms resistance and 100-200 pF capacitance, which is nice to know, but Rega doesn't publish a capacitance spec on its tonearm wiring. My receiver (Sony STR-D515) shows 50k resistance but no info on the capacitance.  So, I suspect the cartridge and the phono stage might be a poor match, producing the strident brightness I'm hearing in the upper range instruments, but can't verify in the absence of specs.

So, my question is, if you are using this cartridge (or a similar A-T VM line cart), what preamp are you using to get good results?  

Thanks in advance!
2ndtrumpet
I have the same cart. Lots of choices for phono preamp.

try the EAR 834. if price is too much, then go for the doukmall clone on ebay for 369, then add some PSVANE tubes and becomes quite musical, very detailed, but no harshness.

where you are located?

Maybe try a different rca cable first? I have listened to the lounge audio and the at540. always sounds pretty darn musical to these ears.