I Had a Chance to Finally Demo the Black Cat Digit-75

Well, I recently had the opportunity to try out the Black Cat Digit-75. And truthfully I was a bit skeptical about how much better it would be over my Black Cat Silverstar 75 MkII. But I was willing to give it a shot.

Wow!! Simply Wow!!

The soundstage is deeper and a tad bit wider! And if I had to describe it, it would be like saying the BC Silverstar 75 MkII is the "skeleton" (and a very fine skeleton). But the Digit-75 is the meat on the bones!! Both are magnificent, but I have a very revealing system so I can hear quite clearly any coloration or lack thereof. These cables have the same clarity, however, the Digit-75 provided more "body." The biggest difference I noticed was the increase in the midrange. It was full-bodied and warmer and in comparison, the Silverstar 75 MkII was a bit "thinner" sounding and more analytical. Both are extremely fine cables with excellent PRAT. But the broader and noticeably deeper soundstage of the Digit-75 won me over! It was as if the singers were closer to you and the arena (for live performances in particular) was larger.

I listened to Diane Krall's, Live in Paris, and it sounded like I was only a few rows back from the stage. There is a certain liveliness to the sound that the SilverStar doesn't have. There's this almost 3-D quality that is organic and not forced.

I was equally impressed by the fact the bass was actually better! But it wasn't "bloomy" sounding or overblown, just more full-bodied and robust while maintaining all the same naturalness and without any extra coloration. That is a very hard trick to pull off.

I would say the SilverStar cable leans slightly toward the analytical side of neutral while the Digit-75 leans more towards the warmer side of neutral.  But both are very good and neither is fatiguing (as has been my experience with what I consider at least to be analytical-sounding cables, and why I don't like some of AudioQuest's higher-end line of cables like The Thunderbird).

The highs are nicely balanced with the mids and bass and overall the sound is beautifully cohesive and coherent.  It is not as liquid sounding as some other digital cables, but just right for those who like a very balanced cable that is able to accentuate highs, mids, and lows through great layering.

Now the "perfectionist" conundrum...

Should I just go with the "top-of-the-line" TRON which is reputed to be even BETTER!! And never have to wonder, "What if??" Or go with the Digit-75 and consider the Law of Diminishing Returns?

(The advertisement says The Digit-75 is a "trickle down" TRON and costs nearly 3-times less).
mrc4u
Post removed 
I've now had the Black Cat TRON in my system for a few months. The sound staging is amazing! It has not lost any of it's PRAT, but it seems a bit more "relaxed" sounding, not quite as sterile (by comparison) as it did the first few weeks I played it. I was considering getting the Audience Front Row speaker cables down the road, but there's no need to. The sound is more open with broader dynamics.  This cable pushes the entire soundstage closer to you.  And for some that may not be preferable. But for me I love it!

By way of comparison, I received the Sablon Pantela cables a few weeks ago.  The Sablon is very, very nice but different.  The highs are slightly "buttery smooth." For someone who likes a more warm, slightly lusher sound and not quite as precise (PRAT isn't as good as the TRON), you'd love them!  They're different but that should not be interpreted as bad or lesser than.
I also like Sablon Pantela cables in my digital system of Dave and Mscaler.

I agree with OP that they sound more forgiving with refined treble.

Also they are more reasonably priced than Tron.

Thomas
Yes, indeed Thomas!

I have spoken to Mike (the owner of Sablon Audion) and for the money and sound, they would be a wonderful choice!  But the TRON (though very expensive is still my slight favorite).  The TRON is probably for the more discerning listener. The one who loves micro-dynamics! And for those who prefer a more "LIVE" sounding experience. And on the other end of the scale for the person who has a less transparent system, so they need to squeeze every ounce of transparency they can out of their system. Mine is very transparent and so if you have a good recording you can hear all the little nuances which I prefer.

But, if you like to be simply immersed in a very lush sound and you're not as anal about hearing the aforementioned nuances, The Sablon would be my recommendation. It gives you similar soundstage without as much micro-dynamics and it seems to excel more in the mid-frequencies and rolls off slightly in the higher ones. I mean I could listen to the Sablon Pantela all day and not grow fatigued at all!  I'm using it with the Chord MScaler and Hugo TT2.

Either one would be an excellent choice! But with everything try your best to audition either one first, because system synergy is paramount.
Hi Guys 
I have had SS mk2 and the Digit 75 mk2 
i now have the Tron and it is probably the best I have heard.
I also have Black Cat interconnects and 
speaker cables in my system.
Just beautiful