Power Rating: Onkyo vs Yamaha

Hi, everyone!

I am browsing for an integrated amplifier and I stumbled upon the Onkyo A-9150, that meets all my requirements (budget, good sound, discreet class AB design, internal DAC, pre-out, phono, the whole package), but I am really curious by its power rating.

Looking at the specs, it is rated as 60W/4-ohm and 30W/8-ohm with 0.08% THD from 20 to 20,000Hz. Okay, but the manual also states that it weighs 9.2 Kg, almost the same (even heavier) as the Yamaha A-S301, that weighs 9.0 Kg. Only the Yamaha is rated as 60W/8-ohm and 70W/4-ohm with 0.019 THD from 20 to 20,000Hz. Upon inspection of pictures over the internet, their transformers are pretty much identical, just like their chassis, and 

How come is this difference in power so big? Any ideas?

------------------------------------------------------------------
PS.: If you look in their service manuals, I guess you will find that their topology is the same and that the Onkyo A-9150 amplifier transistors are even more powerful than the Yamaha A-S301's.
rafapb
It seemed to me that, as fas as power is concerned, the A-S301 would be the most fair contender. If we compare the Onkyo A-9150 to the A-S501, then the power difference is even bigger, but for the price it seems a very nice amp.
As far as power is concerned, but most folks compare what they can afford under a specific budget. Dollar for dollar, the Yamaha has more grunt.

Comparing the 9150 to the 301 is akin to comparing a Toyota Camry to a Honda Civic.

I'm still curious as to how Onkyo can build a 4 ohm stable amp for $500 and it takes Yamaha $2500, their lesser priced amps using a speaker impedance switch. I can't remember when this switch first appeared on an amp, but I don't believe it was on what was considered to be a quality amp.

The Onkyo just has a built-in power limiter. These switches/devices are not reflective of an amp quality. They exist solely to sacrifice the speakers instead of the amp in case some idiot does something like attempting to drive 2 ohm loads to 120db. They are simply idiot-proofing. It allows the manufacturer to stamp a UL or similar rating on the amp. If these switches are left in 8 ohms they can still drive 4 ohm loads without detriment, it only makes it more likely that the amp will also suffer damage if overdriven. Speaking from personal experience, the $500 Yamaha integrateds can drive <4 ohm loads to high SPLs without breaking a sweat. As for amps that double on power as impedance halves, point to any new-production product that does that for <$500. 

A little late but I thought I would add my experience with the Onkyo 9150 . I have Dynaudio Audience 52 4 ohm speakers. I contacted Dynaudio before purchase and asked them what power was required . They said that they recommend 65 watts for a medium sized room .Larger room more and small or nearfield less. I bought the Onkyo mainly for the pre-amp section and new technologies figuring I could always buy a seperate power amp if I needed it as the amp is configured to be used as a pre amp if wanted. I have not needed to do that as the amp delivers clean power and wonderful sound at good volume. I listen to mostly Classical and jazz with no problem. Music is either streamed from qobuz hi-res,downloaded cd in alac or cd from Onkyo dx 7555 cd player. I also run all music thru my Rega dac though the onkyo onboard dac is very good but brighter than the Rega. Besides the Dynaudio speakers I use AKG K712 phones. I would Highly recommend this amp to people who like music .
Has anyone compared the sound quality of the Onkyo A-9150 with the Yamaha A-S501, 701, or 801?