Great musicians who should have been famous except....

I'm throwing this out there as an example. My 16 yr old aspiring drummer son asked me if I had anything in the vinyl collection tonight... apparently the U Tube video tutorials finally got boring. He is really good and practices non stop but it was refreshing when he asked about ideas for sound. In a moment of 30 years past clarity I put on the B side of Van Halen 1984… Is Alex Van Halen the most under rated rock drummer of all time? And is there a better lead in to ANY rock vinyl side than that???
telemarcer
Thought I'd throw a few great, highly distinctive but underappreciated guitarists into the mix:
Sandy BullTal FarlowLenny BreauDanny KalbPaul KossoffHilton Valentine

As a drummer, and fan of free improv/ avant- jazz, I’m always searching out well recorded, esoteric drummers.

If willing to listen with an open mind I highly recommend going down Hamid Drake, Tyshawn Sorey, and Han Bennink YouTube rabbit holes. Also check out recordings by Dave King (The Bad Plus, Happy Apple, Trucking Company). King has a wonderfully hilarious drum parody series on YouTube called Rational Funk. A fantastic escape for drummers.

... and any of Paul Motian’s recordings on ECM are masterpieces. 
To the OP’s question of best drum lead in, I say all you 70’s rock fans should be ashamed of yourselves. It’s clearly Carl Palmer’s Tank.
part of the beauty is the original studio version is very different from the Works version with orchestra.
Palmer as face forward a style as could be with ELP strongly stated that drum playing should be about the music, not the drummer.  Totally changed his style with Asia.  Seen him several times show how he can makes umpteen different sounds come out of one cymbal, or drum.
Bdp24’

“John Bonham’s famous kick drum triples (ask your son what that means) are played purely to show he can play them---they are musically unrelated to what any other musician is playing.“

Really?  Not what I’m hearing.  At all.  All the players mentioned are great.  No need to single out Bonham for a unfounded snipe.  He was great, and inspired many.