Coated woofer - why?

An old (20+ years) speaker with multiple previous owners has a coated woofer - why would this mod be made?  What are the implications for SQ?  Speaker is a LS35A type with original KEF B110 woofer.  
128x128thosb
Post removed 
An old (20+ years) speaker with multiple previous owners has a coated woofer - why would this mod be made? What are the implications for SQ? Speaker is a LS35A type with original KEF B110 woofer.

Let me add, that if you are in need of direct replacements, the company Falcon Acoustics, sells all replacement parts.

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/bbc-ls3-5a/falcon-ls3-5a-b110-drive-units.html  

It couldn’t hurt to think about replacing those old woofers. Surrounds, glue, etc tends to age.
Thanks guys, glad to have learned a bit today.  Wish I could have seen the post that was deleted, I am sure I missed out on a nasty clever bit of advice, hopefully it was a pun.  I was expecting a “cuz its cold” but ebm must have been much better.

Anyway, simonmoon, this was certainly a mod as other speakers of the same brand/type do not have this look, a glossy blackish kinda coating, and the owner mentions the coating.