Speakers for a “cold” room

I have a terrible room 16 x 18 two bay windows (I do use heavy drapes in front of them). Partially hard wood floors, and plaster walls.  8 foot ceiling.   I have acoustic zen adagio and want to upgrade.  I am also going to upgrade the electronics.  Jolida tube pre into emerald class d amps.   I love the zen’s but find the upper mid’s a bit harsh.  Bass is nice an punchy.    So......  what would be a upgrade for a cold room.  I was thinking golden ear triton 1’s due to build in sub.    Thanks much in advance

mlapenta
Duke an austute summation but there is no way to know what is causing his problem with the Addagios.

Many years ago we sold that speaker and when setup with good electronics they sounded quite good for the design of the time we dropped them as the Dali Helicons were a far better loudspeaker.

We don't know what cables the gentleman is using, what is the quality of the source, as well as the fact  many digital amplifiers don't have the liquidity in the midrange that a good class A/B amplifier has. 

Reverberent rooms tend to sound shouty and echoey so it is hard to know if this gentleman has slap echo or not, where maybe adding a pile of pillows behind the speakres would be a cheap and effective fix or adding an area rug or other acoustical fixes.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

@audiotroy wrote: "Duke an austute summation..."

Thank you!

"... but there is no way to know what is causing his problem with the Addagios."

Perhaps not, but what mlapenta describes (upper-mid harshness) is consistent with excess off-axis energy at the bottom end of the tweeter’s range as heard in an unusually reverberant room. I think there is a very good chance he has correctly identified the problem as a speaker/room interaction issue.

Circling back to "Speakers for a cold room", at the risk of over-generalizing: The more reverberant the room, the greater the role the reverberant field plays, and therefore the more important the off-axis response becomes. Not that this is the only thing that matters, but imo it's one of them.

Audiotroy, you have a wide range of experience in the industry. What are your thoughts on "Speakers for a "cold" room"?

Duke

Duke we take a systematic approach which has been honed by having tons of gear incomming and outgoing.

There are the intrinsic attriubtes of the product and then there are the issues in matching the one product to the rest of the products and then then the room.

The issue here is to figure out is it the room, the combination of this set of speakers with the OP's particular set of matching products. 

Sometimes it is a simple fix, we setup our Blades on one side of our big showroom opposite another set of reference speakers at the time, and the Blades sounded horrible, the space was too live in that part of the room, went to Pier One and bought a boat load of different sized pillows which we then piled up behind the loudspeaker and boom the hardenss that was the room feeding back went away completely. Not exactly the look we wanted but the system sounded good.

We have used this trick at Audio Shows as well. 

So for the OP he has a few options one try a different set of speakers in the same space with the same gear and see if that is moving in the right direction, then to try a match with different electronics, digital and cabling and of course room tuning.

Without seeing pictures of the room and knowing exactly the matching gear we are both firing blindly here.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
Therefore, and the reason for my earlier recommendation to listen with the speakers pulled out and nearfield...to eliminate the room and diagnose whether it is system related or not.
Audiotroy, did someone drop a Tympany 3 on your foot? Did you have a nightmare about getting folded up in one? Your description of the sound of dipole planar speaker does not match the reality of properly set up ones. My guess is that you probably make more money selling other stuff or  do not know how to set up these speakers correctly. Frankly I think you have nothing to offer this site but distortion and I wish you would sell your stuff elsewhere.

Very Sincerely,
Mke