Mono Reissues and the Conical Stylus

Hi Folks,

Recently I started buying mono reissues from Speakers Corner, Impex, and have recently ordered a few from Analogphonic. They're all of the 'long haired' variety. In the process, I've come to discovery threads where posters claim that the newer mono reissue grooves are cut in a V (stereo) shape rather than the vintage U (mono) shape.
My AT 33 mono cartridge comes with a conical stylus and from what I can tell, so do the better mono cartridges, i.e. the Miyajima Zero Mono. This of course would then create an issue where it pertains to using a conical stylus in a V shaped groove.

Around November, I plan to purchase a Jelco tonearm for my modified Thorens TD 160 and after that, will be looking to upgrade to a higher end mono cartridge. However, I don't see that they're would be a viable solution to the stylus dilemma given that I will only have one tonearm. I do by the way own a collection of early mono records but would like to find a cartridge that better crosses over between my vintage pressings and my reissues. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
goofyfoot
For as many years as I've been playing LPs I should know this.  But this thread helped me realize that I don't.

Early stereo LPs often contained warnings against playing with a mono cartridge.  Was that due to the larger conical mono stylus tip compared to elliptical stereo tip which might cause damage to the groove?

Or was it an issue with vertical motion of the stylus/cantilever?  I've read that true mono cartridges do not pick up vertical groove information.  I assume that is because of the coil configuration rather than the cantilever not being able to move vertically.  If it is the latter is that the reason it can cause groove damage?
The warning against playing a stereo record with a mono cartridge stems from the fact that the early mono cartridges didn't have or need any vertical compliance.  The lack of vertical movement effectively chews up any vertical modulation found in the 45º cut stereo groove. Some current day manufacture cartridges like the Miyajima's adhere to this while others have coils in the lateral plane with compliance in both the lateral and vertical plane.  The Denon 102 was designed as a mono cartridge with vertical compliance so radio stations could use the same cartridge to play both mono and stereo cuts.

dave
Someone help me on these questions. I have a new ELAC PP2 phono preamp. It has a Mono switch. Is it a waste to buy a Hana Mono considering that Mono switch feature? The answer to this question will help me decide on a two arm capable TT or an arm with multiple head shells. 
gerrym5,
From my understanding, having a mono switch option is comparative to using a stereo to mono splitter. It is taking a stereo signal, by reading the left and right sides of the groove, via the azimuth tonearm adjustment and then channeling that into mono. Doing this is not a substitute for what a mono cartridge will do. The detail, musicality and quiet background that is characteristic of a mono cartridge will not happen by using a stereo cartridge, even with a splitter or a mono switch. Once you have a mono cartridge installed, then you may find that using the mono switch is preferable but that could go either way.