Update or Toss Technics SB-G300 Speakers from 1981? (link to photos)

Audiogon community, appreciate any experience / expertise regarding these vintage Technics speakers...

A family member has offered his Technics Z22 MK2 system from 1981. It's in great condition. It has two Technics SB-G300 speakers and an SL-D3  "fully-automatic direct-drive" turntable. The local audio store says that a very decent modern receiver can be had for $500 and allow for music streaming / Wifi / Bluetooth aptX to the speakers, and also connect to the turntable.

Photos of the original 1981 sales brochure (happy to post more for anyone interested!):

https://www.heartofconeyisland.com/technics.html

Each speaker is 15.5" wide x 10.6" deep x 26.4" tall (excluding the stand). They're a bit bulky for my apartment's living room (12 ft x 18 ft), and too big to be placed around the television, so they'd be solely dedicated to music.

** Anyone know if these particular Technics SB-G300 speakers are considered to be high-quality vintage speakers that can go toe-to-toe with (or surpass) a modern-day $1,500 speaker system? Or were they just decent mass-market speakers in their time, but technology has moved on? And similarly, anyone heard of this turntable? **

I'm leaning towards declining his kind offer, and just getting a new system that fits on the shelving so I can dual-purpose it (music + television).

If the experts here think that these speakers (and turntable) are really going to provide a superior listening setup, would love to know and preserve a good vintage system! I've been researching and learning all about speakers these last weeks and it's a fascinating world... !

Thanks again for any insights you may have.

David
david2019
The good news is that there are currently lots of ways to get good sound for relatively little money.  Whichever way works best for you. My garage comment wasn’t a joke. Been using old Advents and an old Onkyo receiver in there for years.  Summer and winter and it sounds great. Advents 40 years old. Onkyo 20
Post removed 
Technics made some very interesting loudspeakers back in the 1980s.  If they are functioning well, I don't see any reason to replace them.  Actually, Technics still makes interesting loudspeakers.
Viridian, thanks for the historical sentiment and your really specific turntable advice. It really helps clarify things and I'm going to get the cartridge you suggest, which has great reviews.

JL35 and Highway61, agree, it's going to be a great "first foray" into the audio world. Even if it's older technology, and doesn't compare (my original question), it's going to be a fun and educational ride and make me appreciate both the history and advancements.

The best part is that it also comes with his record collection, too. What a trip back in time.

Thanks again to EVERYONE who took the time to reply. Amazing COMMUNITY on here. I do the same for people who write into the history website I run as a hobby, and it's nice to think that good karma somehow comes back around. Wish you all the best!
Post removed