Update or Toss Technics SB-G300 Speakers from 1981? (link to photos)

Audiogon community, appreciate any experience / expertise regarding these vintage Technics speakers...

A family member has offered his Technics Z22 MK2 system from 1981. It's in great condition. It has two Technics SB-G300 speakers and an SL-D3  "fully-automatic direct-drive" turntable. The local audio store says that a very decent modern receiver can be had for $500 and allow for music streaming / Wifi / Bluetooth aptX to the speakers, and also connect to the turntable.

Photos of the original 1981 sales brochure (happy to post more for anyone interested!):

https://www.heartofconeyisland.com/technics.html

Each speaker is 15.5" wide x 10.6" deep x 26.4" tall (excluding the stand). They're a bit bulky for my apartment's living room (12 ft x 18 ft), and too big to be placed around the television, so they'd be solely dedicated to music.

** Anyone know if these particular Technics SB-G300 speakers are considered to be high-quality vintage speakers that can go toe-to-toe with (or surpass) a modern-day $1,500 speaker system? Or were they just decent mass-market speakers in their time, but technology has moved on? And similarly, anyone heard of this turntable? **

I'm leaning towards declining his kind offer, and just getting a new system that fits on the shelving so I can dual-purpose it (music + television).

If the experts here think that these speakers (and turntable) are really going to provide a superior listening setup, would love to know and preserve a good vintage system! I've been researching and learning all about speakers these last weeks and it's a fascinating world... !

Thanks again for any insights you may have.

David
david2019
Alas, neither the speakers and TT are worth much! The complete Z-22 system would be a good bedroom system for a teenager!
Robert, thanks for replying, really appreciate it and see you're a major contributor on this site. So I understand, you're saying that a modern $1,500 system, say, two bookshelf speakers + subwoofer, would sound far superior to these big boys? (Would love to know if you have a suggestion in that case, for a system that can also stream music / aptX!) Or are you saying it more tongue-in-cheek from a pure audiophile viewpoint, comparing these to really high-end systems from the period that people still seek out today? Asking because I'm comparing more to a $1,500 system than to a brilliant audiophile system. Thanks again.