Buyer is claiming damage that was done by him!

Hi group,
I sold a pair of mint Harbeths. I shipped them in original double boxed carton with original bonnets covering them. I just received this EMAIL from the buyer. I know that many ruin these speakers trying to pry  the magnetic grills off incorrectly. What is my recourse with this issue?
Thanks  much for your input!

This is the EMAIL I received from the buyer!

Hi. I picked up the speakers from FedEx yesterday. They arrived with some minor dents around the front top corners near the grille on both speakers. When I opened the outer box, I've noticed that one side of the inner box wasn't sealed on top and as a result the speakers came out of the top foam speaker holder. I guess the damage occurred from speakers bumping against each other. The grill cloth is also ripped near the dents. I've sent an email to Harbeth asking how much replacement grills are going to cost. I could probably live with those dents but grills might be replaced at some point. I'm still waiting on my amp to come back from service, so I have not even plugged the speakers in yet. Hopefully the drivers are ok.    
128x128yogiboy
Certainly feel OP's pain here and believe he is being generous in his responses to buyer.  Had similar on a deal on another forum which left a sour taste. 

My experience with Paypal is that they side with buyer everytime there's a report of item 'damage' to save themselves hassle of dealing with buyer's credit card company, but an important part of this is to report supposed shipping damage to Fed Ex. They will usually send someone to view the boxes at recipient's location to determine if the damage was possibly shipping related, and if so they can help resolve it, but even if not, this is important data for further interactions with the buyer and can make some who claim shipping damage soften their stance.

Now it is still possible the buyer is being straight up and the damage did occur after you sent it but before he received it, but I'd get the shipping company's examination on this just for the record. As shipper you can initiate this and they'll contact the buyer to arrange inspection.  The suggestion to send pics of corner damage to Harbeth is a good one too. 
From what you describe it doesn't seem possible that the damage described was done in transit.  It sounds like someone tried to pry the grills off as you said.  It really comes down to whether you want to take an unjustified hit to your rating or pay for something that appears to have not been your fault.  I would contact Harbeth and hope they show some sympathy and help you out.  They might, especially if your replacement speakers were another pair of Harbeths.  
Yogi, Sorry to hear of your problem. I truly hope that should you refund the buyer for cost of the grills, he provides you with positive feedback. 
I’ve owned Harbeths and removed the grills once gingerly prying them loose. Harbeth wants you to use the grills judging by the difficulty of removal. The inner and outer boxes provided by Harberh for shipping are very good. The outer box might sustain damage, doubtful the inner one would. How the inner boxes would suddenly “open” and cause damage is inexplicable. I call BS on the buyer, so I would ask him to return the speakers to you with him paying freight and insurance or have him deal with FedEx. The standard damage with FedEx is $100 so alternatively you could reimburse him the difference for the grill prices. My bet is that the grills are expensive.