Would you even consider?

Would you consider the purchase of a now defunct name brand piece of equipment 7 or more years old available at multiple times the suggested retail price and is no longer supported by the out of business manufacturer?
Case in point Oppo, a well known and exellent product. It seems that quite a few are showing up for sale at price points way above the original selling price.
Why would anyone buy a product that is used, old, not supported and way overpriced?
Answer me this?
128x128gillatgh
I would not pay more for something like the Oppo when there are now better options for less money. Frankly any disc spinner is going to eventually fail if its already 7 years old then depending on the use its already old. Yes they did lots of great stuff but like one poster already mentioned its not hard to better it for less money.

Sony still makes a very good multi disc spinner it doesn’t have a DAC in it though. It outputs digital and HDMI only mine was $299 (well built too) add a great DAC maybe a Bluesound node 2 (for streaming) and your done with digital.
Very interesting responses. I agree with the majority of replies. It's difficult to justify the exorbitant price on a used defunct product. Only the buyer can determine the worth. For myself I will pass on such a risk. The void left by Oppo is already being filled at much more reasonable prices.
gillatgh:
"Why would anyone buy a product that is used, old, not supported and way overpriced?"

Hello gillatgh,
    Short answer is because they were all excellent players at bargain low prices when they came out and they're still excellent players, and still good values, even at the higher prices.
    I also believe Oppo announced their exit from the market on 4/02/1918, not 7 or more years ago, and Oppo has stated that all products are going to continue to be supported until at least 2021. 
     The company began in 2004 with introduction of DVD players and their first Blu-ray model was the BDP-83 universal disc player in 2009. Subsequent Blu-ray models were the bdp-93, 95, 103 and 105. The last Blu-ray models produced, and the first 4K models produced, were the BDP-203 released in 2016 and the BDP- 205 released in 2017.
     I bought my Oppo-105 new in 2016 for $1,200.  After inserting it into my combo 2-ch music and HT system and discovering its excellent audio and video performance, I determined my music sounded just as good without my 2-ch VTL 2.5L preamp with NOS Mullard tubes and the 5.1 surround sound sounded better without using my Parasound AVC-2500 5.1 surround preamp/processor so I removed them both and sold them for more than the price of the Oppo-105.  I currently use the Oppo as a high quality preamp for 2-ch music, a Blu-ray/DVD/DVD-A/CD and SACD player, hi-res DAC for up to 24bit/192KHz  music files, a 5.1 surround sound preamp/processor, 1080p video processor and a wi-fi connected video/audio streamer.  
      So, to answer your question of "would you consider the purchase of a now defunct name brand piece of equipment 7 or more years old available at multiple times the suggested retail price and is no longer supported by the out of business manufacturer?"  An Oppo player that was 7 or more years old would mean buying their original Blu-ray model, the BDP-83 released in 2009,  or the 2nd crop, the BDP-93 and BDP-95 released in 2012.  The problem with your question is that none of these "7 or more years old" Oppo used players currently for sale are asking "multiple times the retail price", I couldn't even find an online ad for one equal to the original retail price. 
     You, therefore, must be referring to the latest Oppo BDP-203 and 205 models that are 2-3 years old, not 7 years.  If you correct the multiple errors in your question to a valid one of:
 Would you consider the purchase of a now defunct name brand piece of equipment 2-3 years old available at up to 2.5 times the original suggested retail price but is still supported by the out of business manufacturer until at least 2021? 
     My answer for a BDP-205 would be yes, I would consider the purchase, because of its excellent audio and video performance quality, reliability, flexibility and its 4K capacity.  However, I'd also consider purchasing one of the several similar 4K players that will almost certainly be released soon by other manufacturers (Pioneer, Panasonic and others?) in an effort to fill the void of an audiophile version of a 4K Blu-ray universal disc player.

Tim
Post removed