Novice Question: Dedicated Streamers

Basically, I’m confused as to what function a stand-alone music streamer without onboard storage serves.  I know I’ve got some sort of glaring, mental blank spot about this.....the only thing I can figure is that there is some sort of enhanced music file processing over what one gets with most home computers and storage happens by plugging an external storage drive(s) to this sort of component??  Can someone enlighten me better about these?  The Blue Sound “Vault” has caught my eye of late but I’m wondering if I might be missing something by not looking at the “node” by the same company.  I don’t anticipate ever using any sort of music subscription service if this is important...  
lg1
I haven’t cracked open a cd case in over 10 years, unless it was to rip it to a hard drive. I had a $3000 CD player from Classe back then and sold it. Back then, a Mac running pure music or amarra was the ticket. Then Audirvana came out. Went the dedicated music server route for a couple of years sharing a large multi TB disk system from a computer and got rid of that because it was still using the flawed USB interface. Now, back to using a computer running Roon server and using a hard wired CAT7 cabling network to interface with my dac with a network bridge card.
if you want to buy a dedicated music server, you are still buying a computer, probably using Linux, which is a great OS but most audiophiles or local technicians have no idea how to work on it. 

Like Lg1 I am somewhat confused about the benefits of a music streamer. What for example is the difference say between a non storage streamer and a Bluetooth receiver such as a Bludento BLT-HD or an Auris bluMe HD? 
Thanks all and definitely appreciate your inquiry, Mazian as I suppose my confusion about these components may have similarities...  Right now, I’ve got iTunes on my Mac playing 16 bit AIFF ripped from CDs going wirelessly to an Apple Express which goes straight into my integrated amp with no further DAC presence.  While the original question I posted about Streamers without onboard storage has been cleared up somewhat in my mind, I keep wondering what I’d gain by acquiring one of them up and above what I’ve got in terms of functionality (I assume the SQ stands to be possibly be improved significantly? or not?). I suppose a solution like the Vault, with its onboard storage, would save wear and tear on the Mac but to a cost effective degree??  Perhaps the Node 2i plus a TB external drive with a copy of my iTunes collection might be more cost effective in that regard?  Intriguing to ponder, for sure...
My practical experience adding to the above:

8 years ago I ripped all my CDs and started streaming them from iTunes. Shortly after I discovered Spotify and stopped streaming my own CDs and did Spotify instead as Spotify also provided access to all the music that I did not own. After some time I tested Tidal and found out that the quality was better and moved to Tidal, where I am now.

Then I wanted to stream to my HiFi and not just from my computer. I wanted to use my phone as remote controller. Hence, I looked for a streamer that I could connect to my amplifier. Initially I decided for a cheap solution from german Raumfeld and a cheap DAC from Musical Fidelity - to try things out. That worked perfect.

I learned about Roon and realized that provides a lot of information about the bands and albums that I wanted. Hence, I upgraded my streamer to a Roon Ready streamer, where I have Roon and Tidal (Innuos Zen mini).

Next was upgrading my DAC, where I was in doubt whether to select an MQA enabled or not. I finally decided for a non-MQA called RME ADI-2 DAC.

As part of the process I have upgraded my Ethernet and USB cable.

Good luck with your journey ahead.