Two New Albums

I thought I’d pop in to mention two new albums that folks might be interested in both of which I like a great deal.

The first is the Teskey Brother’s second album, just released a few days ago, Run Home Slow. I discovered the Teskey Brothers here at Audiogon when it was mentioned by another member....I forget who. But they are out of Australia. Their music is very much retro R&B. The lead singer sounds a great deal like Otis Redding and the songs on the first album were generally good, classy and soulful R&B. It is one fantastic album. The second album does not disappoint. They have stuck close to their R&B style but several of the songs are a little more funky and one has an almost 1920’s blues/rag feel. I’ve only listened to the album twice and I think it is excellent although I don’t hear one or two really stand out songs with strong hooks the way the first album did. SQ is okay but clearly compressed DR as is everything released these days.

The second album is the Black Keys ’Let’s Rock’. I only recently discovered the Black Keys so I’m coming very late to the game with them, so this album might not be news to anyone but me. I think it came out a few months ago. Not sure how I missed the Black Keys all these years because I’m very much into blues and blues based rock. I understand that this is their first release in 5 years and that their previous album was a bit of a departure from hard edged blues. This recent album is not. It is not a straight blues album by any means but it is full on blues rock for sure. Lots of catchy tunes with hard driving guitar. I really like this album. Sound quality on Amazon Music is poor to say the least. Way over the top with loudness and DR compression. I have not seen actual DR numbers but the band is notorious for releasing CDs and hi-res files with abysmal DR. We’re talking 4-5 range. However, most of their vinyl has reasonably good DR. It will be interesting to see with this one.

For those of you who like blues, give a listen to the Black Keys older stuff like Thickfreakness and the Chulahoma EP. Chulahoma is a collection of Junior Kimbrough’s songs played in Junior’s style. Extremely well done.
n80
n80, thanks for the recommendations. I like the new Black Keys album also and the Teskey Brothers are terrific. I've been enjoying Kingfish Ingram's new album as well.
Sooooo... The back keys reminded me of "Jack White" for whatever reason. Anyway I suspect all of you guys would enjoy his "Acoustic Recordings" release. Sound quality is above average on cd. Music is very good. Reminds me of Jeff Tweedy or older Neil Young.  
tuberist, I saw Kingfish play in an old bank building in Clarksdale, Mississippi several years ago. He was mesmerizing.
I listened to his new album a while back and thought it was worth another listen then got distracted and forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me, I need to go back and give it another good listen. I might buy it just to support him.

boxer12, I think the Black Keys get the Jack White comparison because they are a guitar/drum duo like the White Stripes were. I like White's Lazareto but nothing since then. White seems to have a broader range than the Black Keys. Sometimes to his detriment I think. But I do think he is an extraordinary talent.

I believe the tone of all the Black Keys albums are certainly part of their charm, been a fan since their first release and agree that Dans sole offerings are better recorded. My daughter has already secured hers and my tickets for their concert here in Houston scheduled for November. It's the least she could do since I turned her on to them back when. If you like the Black Keys, get the Junior Kimbrough's album already mentioned. As far as the Black Keys and the White Stripes or Jack White, I never saw or heard a likeness to their music.