Does it come down to the mastering quality only??

Listing to some of the Rudy Van Gelder Blue Note reissues and some of the original Blue Note releases, i am beginning to wonder if the quality of the recording...and therefore the overall SQ that one is going to get through your system is more dependent on the quality of the mastering than any other aspect! If the mastering engineer nails the recording and is able to record onto the tape the most 'live' sounding instruments and voices, then you will get a superb recording that will do almost ANY system proud ( IMO Rudy's recordings onto the master tape are incredible ( most) ). OTOH, if the mastering engineer somehow screws up, then the result will be nothing special...regardless of how great the system playing it back is...or for that matter ALL future reissues and techniques of re-mastering the original tape..'One Step' Direct to Disc etc. 
To sum up, if the original master tape is recorded poorly, ( due to the electronics used, or to any number of other variables) then all subsequent releases will simply be a polishing of a turd!
Thoughts???
128x128daveyf
"Everything matters" ;-)   

But I have to say, the quality of the original recording, mastering, and pressing are a huge part of it....all before your system even enters the chain.
I gave up on reissues,unless it's something deemed unobtanium.

A few ticks is acceptable over the sometimes "cd sound"of a "special reissue"

How ones rig plays the subpar recording, is what it's about. 

Not long ago, I found  the 1963, Kenny Burrell "Midnight Blue" mono that looked like it was stored in a time capsule. WOW! It sounds amazing, and I don't have a mono cart.

I am compelled to agree, I don't like being negative and usually avoid it However-  I am listening to the recently promoted  live -50 years ago- on vinyl and it has a sort of haze over the sound.  It could be  (probably) the original recording tapes or it could be my lack of listening to a lot of  live field albums.
If I may make a strained analogy -- the original recording mix is the meal a chef in a quality restaurant prepares and mastering is the overall restaurant experience for the diner.  Mastering cannot take a poorly prepared meal and make it taste wonderful.  Mastering can complement and enhance a dish to make it a truly exciting dining experience.  If the mastering engineer is presented with a well recorded, well mixed album, then they do very little sound alteration in mastering process.  They stay out of the way a let the recording come through.

I agree with Folkfreak's comment above.  Any decent system will sound real good with a great recording.  It's how they handle to mediocre to bad recordings that makes for a truly satisfying system.
@onhwy61 @folkfreak

I tend to disagree with the statement that a mediocre to bad recording on a decent system will sound anything BUT mediocre or poor. IMHO, the more warts that are exposed, the worse the listening session becomes...if we are talking about a bad recording.Since the best systems are more resolving and therefore more able to expose the warts, then the negative aspects of the recording are clearer...which to me is less satisfying. Obviously, on a better recording, that is where your great system shines.YMMV.